Author Topic: Thread-on gear clusters...  (Read 4766 times)

Offline DSC

Thread-on gear clusters...
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:43:19 AM »
Just wondering if anybody else made the mistake of purchasing a kit and not checking to see what type of hub/cassette they had? :o  I was expecting to have it up and running in under a day but this is one of my major issues... cluster on my Iron horse Warrior has splines (8 gear cassette)  and as we know the GM hub requires thread-on gear clusters.  Has anybody had to tackle this type of situation yet?  I'm thinking my 8 gear cassette won't work anyways (Shimano Alivio).  Looking for some suggestions on what works/doesn't.  I like working on my bike myself, and don't really want to pay a shop to experiment with different clusters if I don't have too.  Thanks for your help! 8)
Bike: Iron Horse Warrior
Motor: 48v 1000w GM kit
Batteries: 60v / 6Ah (3 packs in series)

Offline kostelacj

Re: Thread-on gear clusters...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:07:07 AM »
My kit came with a 6 speed thread on "freewheel". You can also buy them at most decent bike shops for $20-$30US. Ask for a freewheel. if you ask for a cluster or cassette they will assume you mean splined with no freewheel. At least, that is my experience.

John

stl_recum

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
I purchased my 7 sprocket freewheel over the internet for about $20.

I took about a week to arrive.

You can thread on 5 through 9 sprocket freewheels without a problem, but you will have to make the spacer longer.

I used a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit to make the spacer. (available at most building centers)

Be sure to measure the distance between your dropout and the first sprocket and make the spacer appropriately. This way the new hub will sit in the same possition as your old one, keeping the sprockets and the derailer in the same position.

I made a pair of identical spacers, this kept my new hub centered in the dropouts, so that the brakes lined up.

I had spread the dropouts slightly but that wasn't much of a problem.

Offline DSC

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I'm gonna go with a quality single speed set up.  Simplest solution and I don't plan on using my bike as a traditional bike anyways.   I will be pedaling only on hills or if I drain my battery.   I didn't think the kit shipped with gear's at all.... hmmm weird. 
Bike: Iron Horse Warrior
Motor: 48v 1000w GM kit
Batteries: 60v / 6Ah (3 packs in series)