Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 cutting out and vibrating  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Deswr1

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 3 cutting out and vibrating
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:16:41 PM »
Hi anyone know would could be causing this problem only had MP3 hub for 4months I was riding it in wet weather when it happened but done so other times as well, ive opened controller housing no wetness inside but cant open the hub cover any ideas, one last thing when it did start giving problem I disconnected power and was pedeling the motor started juddering and throttle battery indicators flashing on,thats without the battery connected ??

Offline Kris

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie III cutting out and vibrating
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:57:24 AM »
battery leds coming on & hard to push means it is doing regen, brake switch must be on

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
Actually the MPIII can produce power without the regen break if you go fast enough. So it's normal for the battery indicator to wake from death when going fast without battery connected. If I spin the wheel on my bike the CycleAnalyst wakes up without the battery connected.

When you say it is cutting out, do you mean that it goes completely dead or is it more of a brake, go, break, go scenario? If it is the last one I'm guessing you have a bad hall sensor connection somewhere. I had a similar problem soon after getting my SmartPie and it turned out to be a loose hall sensor connector. The female connector wasn't secured to the circuit board, but some hot glue fixed that.

To open the side cover you can't be afraid to scratch the paint because that cover sits very hard and you need to use something sharp to pry it open. Open it on the non controller side if you need access to the halls. I have a video on youtube showing me opening a smartpie, but on that video the cover was already loosened from the sticky water sealant. The MPIII is very similar to open (I have opened one of those too, but I didn't take any pictures/video).
Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline Deswr1

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »
i'd give it throttle then it would either  judder or give excessive vibration and then cutout ,but if I reconnect battery it would come on again.and do same thing. here's the update after checking the controller circuit board the 3 thick wire screws where
not very tight and a component on the circuit board was covered with what look like white silicone ,anyway I cleaned it off tightened screws put it back and tried it seems to be working fine but have to take it for a ride,and when connected to battery there's a soft high pitch sound coming from controller  I've noticed is that normal ?

(Update again  as off 9/3/13 12:55pm) I connected battery to take it for a spin before I did that I bounced the bike a couple times on ground to simulate riding over bumps then the bloody thing started turning at low speed then slight faster without any throttle applied it just kept going until I disconnected it , then plugged it in again back to normal any ideas  :-\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:04:43 PM by Deswr1 »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III runs by itself
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »
I connected battery to take it for a spin before I did that I bounced the bike a couple times on ground to simulate riding over bumps then the bloody thing started turning at low speed then slight faster without any throttle applied it just kept going until I disconnected it , then plugged it in again back to normal any ideas  :-\

It sounds as if you may have a few drops of water inside either the throttle itself or one of the connectors, if you unplug the throttle and the fault disappears, it will probably be due to water inside the throttle unit housing.

If the fault is still there, visually check inside all the plug in connectors, but especially the throttle connector and the main 8 pin round connector between the motor and the main harness.

Check out this post for more details.

Alan

Offline Deswr1

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »
just came back from a little ride its behaving itself for now, I did check for water  in plug harnesses and controller housing they where dry as far as I could see and I always covered the throttle when it rained, only thing  I can think of is water maybe got in the hub cover ?? :-\ im gonna silicone around the  hub cover and controller bits. ill try unplugging harness plug if it starts misbehaving again thanks Bikemad
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:03:10 PM by Deswr1 »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »
just came back from a little ride its behaving itself for now, I did check for water  in plug harnesses and controller housing they where dry as far as I could see and I always covered the throttle when it rained, only thing  I can think of is water maybe got in the hub cover ?? :-\ im gonna silicone around the  hub cover and controller bits. ill try unplugging harness plug if it starts misbehaving again thanks Bikemad

Be careful with that, anyone I know of that tried to seal the motor up with silicone ended up with a failed controller due to condensation build up.

Gary

Offline Deswr1

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:59 PM »
Hi Gary update regarding waterproofing, had to ride the bike back from work today again in the rain hoping everything was OK, till about quarter of the way home at the lights the bike jerked twice forward (NOT AGAIN). so anyway thought OK now I can properly check the bike over thoroughly when I get home, as you can see the part I didn't think needed waterproofing was the permanently sealed bit on the loom which wasn't  properly sealed anyway , has anyone opened one of these,are the signal wire bare inside ?

hope that fixes it
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:48:59 PM by Deswr1 »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
The individual wires within my MP3 harness are insulated with color code for each wire. 

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:25:12 AM »
I haven't cut one of those junctions apart, but I would expect to see the separate wires soldered to a circuit board junction assembly. The separate multi-core cables and the circuit board are presumably bonded together within a mold to form the cylindrical block assembly.

The cables look as if they have either been strained at some time, or the outer casings have simply shrunk, causing them to pull right out of the junction block assembly.
Unfortunately, the exposed opening is facing forwards, and is also directly in line with the water being thrown up from the front wheel, so you will need to dry it out thoroughly before trying to reinsert the cable outer casings back into the block and applying superglue to hold them in place, hopefully sealing them at the same time.

Alan

Offline Deswr1

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:22:16 PM »
Morgen 3Eman did you mean inside the block bit its insulated ???

Anyway ,what I've done is put some heat shrink over the entire block & shrunk it down and put some silicone either end of it, I just hope that was causing the problems :o >:( :-[ :-\ :'(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:27:05 PM by Deswr1 »