Author Topic: Single speed freewheel  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Fnbroken

• Confirmed
Single speed freewheel
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »
Hi all, I've been looking with little luck.

Has anyone found an 11 tooth or smaller single speed freewheel that suits the MP?

I never changed out of the highest gear and would prefer something better than a DNP 11-32.

It would also free up space by being able to remove the shifter and derailure.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Single speed freewheel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »
Probably like yourself I have scoured the internet, auction sites, online stores in the U.S, China, Europe, UK but there is no single speed freewheel of that size. I am not sure but I think it would be unlikely that a freewheel mechanism could be made at that small size.  There are other freewheels out there(other than epoch dnp's) that have an 11t cog of better quality than the dnp but they are rare or much more expensive.  I feel the day is coming that hub motors will be given splined cassette fitment hubs which may open up more opportunities to fine tune rear cogs and gears.  There is one motor I can think of like this but I have no idea how it has been tried and tested and it is not a magic pe.

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
I feel the day is coming that hub motors will be given splined cassette fitment hubs which may open up more opportunities to fine tune rear cogs and gears.  There is one motor I can think of like this but I have no idea how it has been tried and tested and it is not a magic pe.
There are actually two hubs like this I can think of.
The Crystalyte G-Series and the 8Fun (Bafang) CST

Crystalyte G-Series

8Fun (Bafang) CST

I have asked around a lot about the CST and it isn't very well tested. Those who have tested it say it works good, but also that you need to buy the 500w version which can be hard to source (To be precise: one person said that after testing both 350 and 500w versions). This is a geared motor very similar to the MAC or BMC only with nylon gears and lower power. It also comes very low geared so it doesn't go fast, but it has plenty of torque.

I believe the G-series Crystalyte is more similar to the MagicPie (as in direct drive), but at a smaller size it probably can't compete with the torque and willingness to over power that the MagicPie has.

Have you tried fitting the DNP epoch to the MagicPie. I tried it but it wouldn't fit right like the Shimamo did. I tried the 7 speed freewheel, might be that the 6 speed will fit better. I also tried the DNP on a MAC motor without success, but I know it would fit if I had the right spacer.
Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
I have fitted DNP Epoch 8 speed  to MP3.
I don't like it, DNP Epoch quality sxcks.

Also you need to use the larger spacer between the back of freewheel and hub cover.
So I went back to 6 speed Shimano.