Author Topic: a newby needs help designing  (Read 7801 times)

Offline bamboocharlie

a newby needs help designing
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »
 :P

dear everyone,

we would like to design an electric bike and here are the situation...

Please imagine a  polluted asian city that has no electric bikes e yet. ;)  and not to far from china :D
   the people here are poor and  (95%) cant afford  cars .  There are alot of mopeds selling for 625 to 1100usd..   people mostly buy those on installment plans.   So, transportation vehicles have taken over the streets in droves. They are disgusting, spewing smog and creating a constant sea of smog.
  The traffic is incredibly crazy and congested. The driving is  stop and go ,stop and go, stop and go.
         Its hard to imagine riders not letting some one hitch a ride even if its just standing on some back pegs.   
 ok... thats the scene...
i am thinking that 350 or 500 w is the way to go .
    I would like to use36v lithium ion/  or if we use sla then I would like to stay at 24 volts if possible-batterys are expensive here.
 but we could really use some good advise..

and since there are no consumer reports on chinese bikes (?)  would u  recommend your first choice in a reliable inexpensive one that would meet the criteria needed for the above described application.

THANK YOU'S ,  BC

Offline ebiker

• Confirmed
Re: a newby needs help designing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
Hi,  I have a 36v 500w  Goldenmotor front wheel kit.  About 1 1/2 years old.   I am using SLA batteries but they are starting to get tired and will soon be upgraded.

The motor has had no problems.   Starts and runs everytime ! ! !      ;D

Thanks, ebiker
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:47:23 PM by ebiker »

Offline Philip Lynott

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
I have a 1000W motor with around 4000km on it. I recommend this motor unless your going for a lightweight design, in that case the 250W minimotor sounds good.

The golden motor sliding battery packs look like the easiest way to fulfill your battery needs - however they appear to be not very reliable. If you are willing to spend more time figuring out how to attach your battery try www.pingbattery.com.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
I have a 1000W motor with around 4000km on it. I recommend this motor unless your going for a lightweight design

You might also want to ensure it complies with any relevant ebike regulations that may exist, as a 1000W motor is not legal for road use in certain countries/states.  (Unless the bike has been tested, registered and insured etc.)

Alan

Offline Philip Lynott

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
Good call Bikemad,

but to be honest I can't imagine that 'homemade' bikes regardless of power would be legal in many countries without testing - so if your bike is going to be illegal anyway why not have an illegal bike that has good performance?

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »
Its not illegal until you get caught! ;D

Offline Philip Lynott

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »
I etched the power rating off my motor so it would be very hard for anyone to challenge me on the power of my motor - I think GM should supply it's motors with no power ratings engraved on them because power ratings are not very usefull and can get you in trouble

Offline bamboocharlie

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 07:12:36 AM »
 thank u all who responded..

u are right.. no laws.. but one needs to be inconspicous or one becomes a moving atm hahahah

another problem has been learned...

maybe somemight comment on it...

I am at 7 degrees latitude..  thats an ave temp .. ave! of 31c .. about 95 degrees most days. 

an umbrella above a bike is essential... 

i will have to run throotle to umbrella tests ,,,, hahaha

anyway.. what happens with SLA's  at high temp is that they perform well but not for as long over life span.

so.. besides  a "desulfer pulse"... can any body comment on how one might increase the lifespan of the battery..

how about a different amperage whilst chargeing..    ?  or how about a company that designs batteries for the tropics??

best regards to all.   

bc

Offline floatbike

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:28:30 AM »
Just go with LiFePO4, the cost is not that high compared to lead acid when you consider the life expectancy.  And LiFePO4 handles temperature extrems very well.

Offline Philip Lynott

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »
SLA batteries are a waste of money, don't find out the hard way - go for LiFePO4

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
lifepo4  ;D