Author Topic: what driver for mp3 usb cable?  (Read 4097 times)

Offline tarvoke

• Confirmed
what driver for mp3 usb cable?
« on: September 23, 2012, 01:29:58 AM »
hi, I just received a Magic Pie 3 and finally got the wheel properly installed. next is the handlebar and then road test.

I did test the motor and battery and all of that seems to work fine: turn on key, throttle lights up; press throttle, wheel spins pretty fast.

but with the usb cable I am having the same problem many other people also seemed to have, it does not communicate with the controller.

is this possibly because I am using windows 64 bit version? (windows 7 to be specific) - does the software require 32 bit?

the usb cable shows up in device manager simply as a HID input device, not as a serial device or anything like that. is that how it should normally appear?

this was my experience:

1. battery disconnected.
2. connect usb cable to controller (make sure no pins are bent, arrows match, plug fully inserted etc.)
3. attach cable to computer usb
4. run Personalized Settings exe (PD280)
5. press Connect
6. computer beeps, software says Connect success
7. press GetConfig - nothing happens

any help much appreciated, thank you!

Offline tarvoke

• Confirmed
Re: what driver for MP III usb cable?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:16:28 AM »
I also tried now with windows XP 32 bit, same thing - "Connect success" but GetConfig does nothing (except jump to the next button)

USB cable still shows up as a USB HID in device manager, although in this case it was called "MeiXin_Programmer"

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:40:27 AM »
Hi Tarvoke andto the forum.

I too am using the 64 bit version of windows 7 and my cable communicates without any problem.
Mine also appears as a HID input device, so I have attached some screen shots of the drivers etc. for you to compare.

Although you state that the battery was disconnected, is it possible that the USB lead may have been previously connected while the battery was still connected and turned on?
If this has happened, I'm wondering if part of the the chip inside the interface lead may have been damaged by the high voltage "Reverse" signal, because the "Reverse" connection is also shared for data transfer by the USB program interface cable. ???

I have also attached a copy of a later version (V1.1) of the programming software which you may want to try if you are currently using V1.0.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:25:51 PM by Bikemad »

Offline tarvoke

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »
many thanks for the quick reply Bikemad!

I'm positive the cable was never connected at the same time as the battery. (before I tried using the software, I had searched around here and other forums, and saw people saying it simply wouldn't work with battery connected at same time - so I made sure no battery. although I did not see anyone mention it could send improper power back to the cable's chips, ow!)

but still, seems like the cable could be bad.

I sent a message to the place I bought it, couple days ago and still waiting for reply (man, these forums are great how quick and helpful people are ;-)
hopefully the vendor will send one - otherwise... goldenmotor.ca wants $40 for one?! ouch!

I don't even need to program it, just wanted to check the settings and that the controller seemed "ok" - since as mentioned it seems to run fine but no test drive yet.

I guess that also means I need to work harder and finish so I can test drive ;-)

EDIT: also, many thanks for the welcome! and for the device info and the fact it should work ok in win7 64. /EDIT
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:04:07 AM by tarvoke »

Offline dallasdick

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:03 PM »
One thing you might want to try when you connect cable to motor connector and computer is to click on "connect", when you get the connect success beep and visual instead of clicking on "get config", click "factory settings" and it should set everything to the default values.  Next, change the values of the factory configuration by raising the current to 26A and the max current leave at the factory setting. Change your regen and reverse settings as needed and then save the configuration.  It will beep telling you the settings are saved.  Now when you click "get config" it should return the exact settings you set and saved.

I too run win7/64 and I used a previous version XP service pack 2 as a legacy profile and it works fine.  If your cable was burnt(and I have had it happen), you would not be able to connect to the software at all.  A short to the interface chip on the usb end would fry it and no pass the signal along.

If you are in warranty, you should not have to pay $40 for a new cable.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:33:26 AM »
Can you provide a picture of the controller including the labels. Iam wondering if it is actually a programmable controller.

Gary