Author Topic: 1st gen model front hub complete  (Read 6541 times)

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
1st gen model front hub complete
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:26:44 AM »
Donor Bike - Mongoose Domain Dual Suspension. $60 from Amazon.com during Christmas sale.
http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Domain-Dual-Suspension-Mountain-Bike/dp/B0007ZF5JO/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/102-5967606-7300124

Complete (the stickers had to go)

Battery Pack - Sears Craftsman Tool Bag (already had)
36V SLA AGM -$85
Rear Rack - Old Man Mountain Red Rock (Only good one I could find that would fit a bike with rear suspension.) http://www.oldmanmountain.com/rear_rack_page.htm - $80
If you would like one of these, call them instead of ordering online, he gave me 10% off.
It is rated for 60 lbs. and weighs 1.3 lbs.
New seat because I cannot stand anything between my legs - $24.99

Here is my dash with the speedometer, LED headlight, and battery meter.
I chose not to install the cutout brakes because after riding for a few days, they were just in the way and useless. I unplugged them and just let off the throttle if I need the motor to stop. This may not be the safest thing, but oh well.

Leave some comments and any improvement ideas. If you want to know how I hid the wires, I used a short section of the rubber used to cover power cords on the floor with a pice of foam rubber on the back.

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
Re: 1st gen model front hub complete
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:36:38 AM »
Forgot to mention, even though this has an aluminum frame, it does have steel forks.
Top speed - 24 mph downhill
Avg speed - 20 mph on flat
uphill - 10 - 15mph depending on peddling

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: 1st gen model front hub complete
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:34:32 AM »
Nice conversion!  ;D

I installed standard baskets to carry larger batteries but the lower center of gravity actually worked against the idea. Batteries above the rear tire makes control a lot more responsive.

I also built a battery carrier out of 1/2 inch EMT conduit for less than a dollar using fasteners and other stock on hand. It required a stick of conduit, 8 machine screws with washers and nuts, 2- .5" pieces of 1/4 copper tubing, 2- 2" x 2" ,12 to .16 flat stock, a hack saw, a ball-pean hammer and a drill. Batteries will be upgraded and moved to a small trailer now in the works for heavy loads.

The local shop had one of those seats for $44.40 but my back can't take the shock compression anymore so I'm looking for a recumbent seat conversion.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:21:57 AM by myelectricbike »