Author Topic: Charging 2 Goldenmotor 48V10AH Packs with one Charger?  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Wummi

• Confirmed
Charging 2 Goldenmotor 48V10AH Packs with one Charger?
« on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
Hello,
for my new project I need more amperes  8)
so I have 2 48V packs from goldenmotor here, planning on running them in parallel.
the BMS can handle Regen, so would this work?

The packs are connected in parallell on the output ports. I plug the charger in on one packs charging port. will both packs be charged fully?

thanks in advance!

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Charging 2 Goldenmotor 48V10AH Packs with one Charger?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »
Make sure both packs have an identical voltage. Then you can probably get away with parallel charging. After a few parallel charges you will need to make sure  that the individual  packs are still balanced at the same voltage. If not they will have to be individually charged again. If they are still balanced then keep going in parallel, though individual cells in your pack may get out of balance with the others.  Eventually this will destroy cells as some will  be charging fully and other will not so lots of strain will be put on the cells that are not fully charging. 
Parallel charging is bulk charging which is ok in the short term, but in The long haul you need to balance out your batteries for maximum life span.

And to answer your question......   It may work but will be charged at a lower amp rating due to the charger only be rated to a certain wattage.  If in doubt buy a cheap volt meter and put the prongs on + and -  ..