Author Topic: Just installed new 26" kit does not work (Problem now solved)  (Read 7664 times)

Offline movintoelectric

I have just installed the goldenmotor 500(700max)watt front wheel electric bike kit.  When applying the throttle the front wheel initially jerks forward slightly , but does not rotate.   If I try to roll the bike forward in this state the motor resists my push and vibrates but the wheel does not rotate.  Does this sound like a motor problem or defective controller or other problem? The battery voltage drops to around 32 volts during this test.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.  Also is there a wiring diagram for this kit?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:40:59 PM by movintoelectric »

Offline jeremy

• Confirmed
Re: Just installed new 26" kit does not work
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
There is a wiring diagram on the Golden Motor site.  Here is a direct link to it:  http://www.goldenmotor.com/BLDC%20Controller%20Connection%20Diagram.pdf

Hope that helps!

Offline movintoelectric

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »
Thanks Jeremy,  I compared the wiring diagram with the wiring harness and all the wiring looks as it should as far as wire colors.  I have re-checked the connectors to make sure that there aren't any bent over connector blades. 

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:49:40 PM »
Start by testing the sensor outputs with a volt meter (outputs are sinks) with the motor power phase inputs disconnected. There are 46 (each 7.82 degrees) rotational positions in which a transition will occur. Record these in a 3 column spreadsheet table. Look for any anomaly in the pattern. If there is then a sensor, sensor lead, sensor connection or intermittent sensor supply is the problem. If not the next item up for testing are the power leads. Next will be the controller.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:40:55 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline movintoelectric

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »
Thank's myelectricbike for the motor test information.  Problem solved.  Upon setting up for the test, I disconnected the magnetoresistive sensor connector and noticed that the green wire spade terminal was not spaced equally between the blue and red terminals. I corrected the spacing, plugged it back together, twisted the throttle and YA HOO! The motor spun right up.  Now for a road test.  Thanks again, and to other kit buyers pay attention to the connectors when you snap them together. The connectors with the light gage wire have connectors that are very light duty and it is easy for one of the spades to bend a little to one side or the other and not make connection.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
Re: Just installed new 26" kit does not work (Problem now solved)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
So as to eliminate the possibility of any confusion your "magnetoresistive" (where did you get that name from anyway?) are known commonly and officially as Hall Effect sensors.

Offline timevex

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:16:18 PM »
"magnetoresistive" sensors are another type of magnet presence detector typically used for rotor location sensing. Goldens motors use hall effect sensors not magnetoresistive sensors.

Here's a good description of the different types of magnet sensors. http://www.phoenixamerica.com/technologies/default.html

Tim

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »
My goodness what is all this high tech stuff leading to? In the old days we could sense just about everything by only licking the end of our right (for right handed) or left (for left handed) index finger and sticking it overhead into the wind. :o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:22:55 PM by myelectricbike »