Author Topic: tire  (Read 10430 times)

Offline sock2828

tire
« on: June 30, 2007, 01:41:37 AM »
i just ordered one of these kits today. and was wondering do I have to use the included tire or can I use my own?

Offline DaveBC

Re: tire
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 09:49:59 AM »
I ordered a 20" kit and it came with a tire :).  Most of the adds I saw for the kits said that a tire was included so I would expect that you would get one.

DaveBC

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
My 20" kits arrived yesterday and I see no reason why the tires could not be replaced with ones of your choice. One tire has a tube with a stem that I have never seen before. They are not shradder or presta but with a presta adapter forced on it I was able to fill the tire. I plan to use the tires that came on the rims. My rear wheel kit has the black motor with GoldenMotor stamped on it but the front kit has a silver motor with no GoldenMotor name anywhere on it or the voltage and wattage but has a decal label with Kuake on it. Can anyone tell me anything about the two styles and if these two motors are identical except for the fact one is for the front and one is for the rear? For some reason I prefer the black motor with the GoldenMotor name on it and the fact it has the voltage and wattage stamped on it. If I order another kit I will specify the black motor.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:35:38 PM »
The tubes sent out with the wheels are common to mainland China and are called Wood's valves, which a Pesta pump will fit. I replaced one of my kits with a Schrader valve tube and another with a No-More-Flats foam innertube that deforms somewhat with heavier loads but unlike the green goo sealants protects me absolutley from flats.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:28:48 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline sock2828

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:39:38 AM »
K thanks also I got an email from golden motor shortly after I orderd the kit that said this

Hi Raul,

Please forward below item:

Item Name:      26" Rim FRONT WHEEL e-Bike Conversion Kit
Item Number:      BCK-26-0819

Quantity:      1

Total:      $175.00 USD

to:

****, ** ****
United States

Thanks,

Philip Yao

was this sent to me on accident it seem like order request
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 03:40:50 AM by sock2828 »

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 04:02:19 AM »
I received my 26” kit on Friday and took a good look at the tire to see just how special it actually is, as Golden Motor lists it as a reinforced tire. Matching it up to the Kenda tires I have on the bike I will convert, I noticed that the profile is significantly lower and the rim itself is a good bit wider too. Upon removing the tire, it was clear that the sidewall strength was much greater than any bike tire I have used. It was quite a bit more difficult to spoon off. The tube seemed ordinary, save for the valve. The load rating on the side of the tire reads 85kg at 350kPa, that roughly 187lbs at 50psi. I’m not sure how that stacks up with a typical bike tire. My regular tires do not seem to have any load rating information on them.

Andy

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:24:54 AM »
Sock2828, I think that is Philip telling his U.S. distributer Raul to ship to you your order and a copy was sent to you as a receipt of your order. Shortly Raul will email you conformation that your order was shipped along with a tracking number.

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
I was at Walmart yesterday and found that they stock flat resistant tires and super thick tubes made by Bell. If I was doing a 48 volt modification and plan to be riding fast I would have to consider these. Most bike tires and tubes are made trying to keep the weight down for better spinning and designed for the weight of the average rider and bike. Adding the weight of the motor and battery pack, then with the electric motor torque and increased speed I believe it could push most OEM tires/tubes beyound their design.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 10:38:59 AM »
Also you can use this email to send a reply to Philip if there are any problems with the order (like no activity on the FedEx tracking number or the wrong kit being received) or problems with the kit like a bad sensor or controller, which unfortunately for some reason seems to happen more often than not.

Be carefull of the boxed regular or Kevlar tires from Wal-Mart... They warn on the box not to use them with straight wall rims and especially with uninflatable tubes like No-More-Flats which they have started selling again.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:44:58 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
I need more info on the straight wall rims. Are the rims with the kits different from normal mountain bike rims? I have not removed the tire from the rims. I had planned to use the tire that came with the kit but had planned to replace the tube with one of Bell's super flat resistance tubes which claims to be 300% thicker and has the green slime in them.

Offline sock2828

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 09:40:07 PM »
Okay thanks

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 07:30:42 PM »
Heresy is that the green slime hardens over time and become a problem itself. So long as the tire has steel reinforced beads and is not the folding kind that fits in a box flat wall rims are not an issue