Author Topic: Help to decide!  (Read 16306 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Help to decide!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:28 AM »
The battery cable usually comes with the battery. So if you choose a battery the cable is free, otherwise it has to be added.

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
(More questions)...please excuse me from overtaking this thread, but hopefully these questions maybe of use to the original poster.    

1. Can you run disc brakes and a 6 or 7 cog freewheel on the mini motors? without problem?

2. do the mini motors come with the same wheel rim as the other motors?

3. Is it easy to lace a mini motor to a 26" rim?  in other words, do they use ordinary/easily sourced length spokes and if so how many? 36?

Andrew :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:53:28 AM by Andrew »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »
Andrew I have a question for you too lol

Can you actually pedal on the 11T cog on that epoch ??

I thought about it, then I ran 48T to 11T with 26" wheel / 120RPM (pretty darn fast pedal speed) and it worked out to be 20km/h...

So I wondered what gears you mainly use if any. Or does it just sit there with 7 gears hanging off the side of your hub while your feet get cold? :D

I can't really comment accurately as I've only ran single speed on my ebikes and pedal at low speed..

Cheers
MM

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
(More questions)...please excuse me from overtaking this thread, but hopefully these questions maybe of use to the original poster.    

1. Can you run disc brakes and a 6 or 7 cog freewheel on the mini motors? without problem?

3. Is it easy to lace a mini motor to a 26" rim?  in other words, do they use ordinary/easily sourced length spokes and if so how many? 36?

I don't mind the questions, as long as this doesnt start to look like a sales pitch. I am here to learn and be helpfull when I can. Questions about my site or whats included in a purchase are really better in private email. Questions about how things work or what best with what, I like to answer in the forum so it can be helpfull to others and so I can be corrected. I think I'm getting better with my knowledge as I no longer seem to have a team of people following me around correcting me :)

The 6 speed freewheel appears to fit no problem as well as disk brakes. I only know this from looking at them. I have no experience installing them. I have a pair of 700c mini motors I look at everyday thinking "Damn those would look nice on my Schwin". The rims are the same as all the others and are 36 spokes as you can see from the picture I am attaching that I upped in another thread. that thread is here.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1588.15

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:00:24 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »
Andrew I have a question for you too lol

Can you actually pedal on the 11T cog on that epoch ??

I thought about it, then I ran 48T to 11T with 26" wheel / 120RPM (pretty darn fast pedal speed) and it worked out to be 20km/h...

So I wondered what gears you mainly use if any. Or does it just sit there with 7 gears hanging off the side of your hub while your feet get cold? :D

I can't really comment accurately as I've only ran single speed on my ebikes and pedal at low speed..

Cheers
MM

Since adding the second pie, I really have no need to use anything bar the 11T cog and the 48T chainwheel. I added the front chain wheel first while just on the rear pie and it made a distnctive difference to the 42 I had previously.  The 11 cog helps keep even more resistance so at full throttle with both pies I can get  a bit of exercise and push up speed slightly, although i'm mostly just pedalling against the motor I suppose? If I still had my  42/14 I would definately not be able to pedal with force running both pies, and with the 48/11 i'm definately not 'light' pedalling. Going up hill I can maintain (more or less) the speed of the both motors similar to on flat.  On flat I definately pedal with force without having to pedal at a silly rate.  It definately works for me, the 48/11 has been worth the investment. the only minus point I have is that it is sometimes difficult in rush hour city traffic to maintain a steady rhythm of pedalling to work up a sweat if the roads are busy. When it comes to biking i'm quite aggressive and am all or nothing in my riding style!  you can even sometimes hear my knees creeking over the sound of the Pies if I haven't had my daily dose of Cod Liver Oil ;)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »

3. Is it easy to lace a mini motor to a 26" rim?  in other words, do they use ordinary/easily sourced length spokes and if so how many? 36?

I don't mind the questions, as long as this doesnt start to look like a sales pitch. I am here to learn and be helpfull when I can. Questions about my site or whats included in a purchase are really better in private email. Questions about how things work or what best with what, I like to answer in the forum so it can be helpfull to others and so I can be corrected. I think I'm getting better with my knowledge as I no longer seem to have a team of people following me around correcting me :)

The 6 speed freewheel appears to fit no problem as well as disk brakes. I only know this from looking at them. I have no experience installing them. I have a pair of 700c mini motors I look at everyday thinking "Damn those would look nice on my Schwin". The rims are the same as all the others and are 36 spokes as you can see from the picture I am attaching that I upped in another thread. that thread is here.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1588.15

Completely understand Gary, I just wanted a few facts about the mini motor setup in general as a GM product compared to other GM motor kits.,

As for my question about what comes with a dual kit supplied by you, I apologize and in future will PM or email regarding bespoke kits supplied by you.  Thanks for pointing that out, annd thanks for the thread link and info. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:09:32 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
No problem Andrew,

Thanks for understanding. I think sometimes what I like about the forum is being able to pick and choose what questions I can answer best. It is a break for the obligation I feel to respond to the unbelievable amount of email I receive on a daily basis.

After thinking about this I have come back to add this paragraph. There are many places in this forum and several other ebike forums where people have directed others to me or my website. I don't want anyone to feel bad about doing this as it is obviously good for me. I fell this is different the me trying to do sales in a forum because these are obviously either people that have dealt with me and are satisfied with the result or these are people that have firsthand experience in seeing how hard I try to make things right. New people that come to the forum may think " what pompous ass would have an avatar of them self wearing a superman outfit, who does he think he is?" Those who have been around a while know this avatar was created by members of this forum after a trail of events.   I originally adopted it as my own as a joke,  but after such a positive response, I decided to keep it. I am just trying to avoid people posting “Gary if I bought this, this and this, how much?”. This is not what a forum should be and I would be embarrassed to answer that. Anyway this is really starting to sound like self promotion now and I’m sure there are many GM dealers that take care of their customers.  So I will get back on topic….

As for the mini motors I really do want to try a dual mini setup. I'm sure this appeals to many of us when we think about how heavy our bikes have become. Don't get me wrong, I love my dual pie with the bob trailer and all, but I often wonder what it would be like to ride into work with my phone in one shirt pocket and my wallet in the other. My son is very inspired by Lance Armstrong and wants me to get him a nice light 700c bike that he can start doing long distance training on. I think a dual mini setup for me would be perfect these rides.

Gary
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:23:32 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
i cannot believe I missed out on that thread in the link.   :D

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »
Hi all

Gary, yes indeed I do have a dual, but as I do so many miles, its loaded for comfort and not pretty...its a mountain trek donkey ( no pun intended ), not pretty, but built for the utmost comfort, with speakers ( ripped up usb desktop speakers), major cushioned sadal, and enough storage for rain gear, long range batteries, food, drink ( very important)...not as pretty as andrews ( im NOT jealous, HONEST !!!!), but at 2-3 hours a day, 50 miles, rain snow or sun, I love her.. ( pic attached, please be kind, she is not washed)

its amazing, ( as you can see in the pic) how different the setup has to be for a bike that does 250 miles a week, to be comfortable at 20 miles per hour

i got two posts to do, one on the wiring done on this bike ( 2000 miles of different experiences lead me to the perfect wiring configuration for me), and one on the batteries that I use day to day..i have made my own, but will post the experience for all, as im now making one for someone else and could help people to understand how the batteries are configured etc....

as for a single Magic Pie and battery for range, see attached gps map......150 kg of bike and rider managed the attached ride

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n510/dirtyginge/?action=view&current=1jan.jpg
24 miles....average speeds of about 18 miles an hour

I also fitted the DNP epoch as per andrew's post, and find all the gears useable....although the miles I do each day rule out cycling, I do pedal for nearly the entire time with various gears to drop the ampage, for good calorie burn... ( then I can drink more honey wine.....lifestyle enablement :) )

feel free to ask any question ( no im not going to the himalayas, but if you get one puncture, you usually get 2, so you need three tubes :) )

Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:17:09 AM by Bikemad »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
ok help on posting picure, ima honeywine forum web noob :)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Once image is uploaded to Photobucket:    Hover mouse over photo, left click on the IMG code on the drop down box in photobucket (it will say copied).  then just paste it in your post. don't do anything else.  :)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:55:12 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
ok help on posting picure, ima honeywine forum web noob :)

Andrew is correct, thats the expert way and as I have found the only way acceptable on some forums. Here we have a simpler option. If you click "additional options" you can browse to a location on  your computer and select a picture that way. It must be under 1 meg though. Using this method anyone logged in as a guest can't see the picture, only logged in members. The photobucket method everyone can see it.

I just had a look at your photobucket pictures. Wow! you certainly have a stack of bags on the back, ever considered a "BOB" trailor? The bike looks great though, there is no need to say it doesnt look pretty. When you add two pies to anything it looks great and you started with a nice bike, just the overloaded look makes it look "not so pretty".

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
No problem Andrew,

Thanks for understanding. I think sometimes what I like about the forum is being able to pick and choose what questions I can answer best. It is a break for the obligation I feel to respond to the unbelievable amount of email I receive on a daily basis.

After thinking about this I have come back to add this paragraph. There are many places in this forum and several other ebike forums where people have directed others to me or my website. I don't want anyone to feel bad about doing this as it is obviously good for me. I fell this is different the me trying to do sales in a forum because these are obviously either people that have dealt with me and are satisfied with the result or these are people that have firsthand experience in seeing how hard I try to make things right. New people that come to the forum may think " what pompous ass would have an avatar of them self wearing a superman outfit, who does he think he is?" Those who have been around a while know this avatar was created by members of this forum after a trail of events.   I originally adopted it as my own as a joke,  but after such a positive response, I decided to keep it. I am just trying to avoid people posting “Gary if I bought this, this and this, how much?”. This is not what a forum should be and I would be embarrassed to answer that. Anyway this is really starting to sound like self promotion now and I’m sure there are many GM dealers that take care of their customers.  So I will get back on topic….

I mentioned you earlier in this thread to the original poster purely as from my personal experience it is a wiser move when purchasing from GM Canada than going straight through GM China,. I was trying to help the poster, not you..  lol .

Sorry for giving you over exposure, but I feel you maybe reading into things a little deeper than what is actually on the surface. but that's just my opinion, I don't mean to rock the boat. As you are aware I'm a recent user of this forum and have very little knowledge about these products so am very careful(or try to be) about any opinions and advice I give. I can only go on my personal experience.

Pompus arse! FFS  :D :D

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:54:38 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
You are probably correct about overthinking it, Now if I could just get Alan to correct my spelling mistakes ;) I think i'll go back to the beginning of this thread and try to remind myself what it was about  :D

Gary