Author Topic: Can I ride the MBG36R motor at 48V?  (Read 4946 times)

Offline luisgouveia

• Confirmed
Can I ride the MBG36R motor at 48V?
« on: June 21, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
Hello guys,

Finally, with my new silver controller, I can configure the voltage to 24V, 36V and 48V.

I'm riding at 24V and I want to change to 48V.

I've been told that I can ride the MBG36R motor at 48V but I would like to hear your opinion.

In fact, I will use two 22.2V batteries in series which will give me 44.4V.

So, in your opinion, can I configure the silver controller to 48V or will I burn my motor?

Thanks very much for your advice!
Luís Gouveia

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can I ride the MBG36R motor at 48V?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
MGBR36 is a minimotor right?

They on a 26 inch wheel at 48v have had its fair share of threads all over with people with burnt motors, Id say no.  Don’t do it.

Even on a 20" I believe there may not be enough resistance in your motor coils to take this kind of voltage at full throttle, you will have to change the PWM.

You can do it but you need to limit the throttle.  The motor will still get 48v but not as wide pulses, so the bike should go as normal speed on hills but on flats sling shot ahead with the higher volts.  You would need to balance power and speed perfectly.

To give you an example I have a 24v brushed motor.  It will run fine at 24v and 35v on a 20" wheel  It burns out at 36v on a 26" wheel and it will burn out at 48v on a 20" wheel.

And then you need to consider the gears in the motor may not be designed to go at such high RPM at 48v and on a 20" wheel.  The 20" experiences less resistance on the motor so wheel is allowed to make good torque from the RPM.  This will put less KG on your gears but the RPM may be over what the materials are designed for.  RPM can make heat on your nylon gears and excessive wear as well.

I think you should keep the mini motor at 36v and purchase a larger motor like the HBS or the MO MP then you can go all a lot further with the volts.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:50:04 PM by Bikemad »

Bring it on

Offline luisgouveia

• Confirmed
Re: Can I ride the MBG36R motor at 48V?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:07:59 PM »
Thank you very much! Your explanation was beyond my demands.

Yes, I read recently that it works some hours with 48V but it ends burning.

Nice regards,
Luís Gouveia