Author Topic: Can't connect to silver controller!!!  (Read 4698 times)

Offline luisgouveia

• Confirmed
Can't connect to silver controller!!!
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »
Hello,

I read the previous post but I'm not buying it.

Is this true? Is it impossible to connect to the silver controller?

Thank you very much for an answer,
Luís Gouveia

Offline mrcarl

• Confirmed
Re: Can't connect to silver controller!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
Hi Luis,

I purchased the silver 'Magic Controller' and USB cable last week and have successfully programmed the parameters that are available using the WINDOWS XP software.  There is like a 'yes' or 'no' beep system (through the alarm speaker that comes with the controller) when you connect and send or query it's settings.  The software also shows you that a command has been successful.

I purchased the Magic Controller because you can program it, it does different voltages, Amps etc.  And with features that most basic standard controllers do not have such as Anti-theft alarm system and being able to switch between using hall sensors and working sensorless are fantastic.

Unfortunately, I was hoping this controller could sync in to the kit I have as I got the magic controller because the controller from my existing non-GM kit died.  So far I have not been able to trigger the mode I need to trigger in order to calibrate the controller to suit my existing motor.

So I bought this controller and USB cable because it's supposed to suit many manufaturer's motors but I did not buy a kit.  On the kit I already have is only a throttle, controller and battery and motor.  But turns out you need a cruise control and power brake and battery key to send it the right commands.

These are all items you get if you buy a full kit from GM, and you can also buy them separately on their website.

I simulated all three as they are just momentary buttons and a rocker switch. and can not get it to enter in to this auto calibration mode which is signified by two beeps from the alarm speaker on the controller.

So, why sell a one size-fit-all type controller that you can program via USB and PC, but not make all the functions editable using the software?  I am not sure, and I have also read in the forums around here it is rumored that the alarm function does not operate on this controller since V.2 - I am not sure.

So I guess GM have not set it up universally, but propriety in order to get it to work on non-GM motors (to set the phase).

Also, I can not get the controller to change the direction of rotation of the motor via the software, but it is a setting that via the software you can specify forward or reverse.  But no matter how many times I do it using their software (and confirming the controller has the new settings) or setting it back to factory settings, (to initialize it), it still will not change the direction of rotation.  Fortunately you can achieve the same thing by shorting the reverse wire off the controller  ;D

They should maybe upgrade this version of the controller by putting a combination of jumper switches or combination switch block.  That way you don't need their full kit to utilize the whole command set and functions to calibrate it for a a non genuine GM kit.

Kind regards,

Carl
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:58:49 AM by mrcarl »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can't connect to silver controller!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »
Hello,

I read the previous post but I'm not buying it.

Is this true? Is it impossible to connect to the silver controller?

Thank you very much for an answer,
Luís Gouveia

As long as your silver controller is v2 you can program it. I notice the v2 controllers have no part number on them now. Perhaps this is how you can tell if it is version 2.

Gary