Author Topic: MP3 Throttle trouble  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Wummi

• Confirmed
MP3 Throttle trouble
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »
Hey there, I have a very mysterous problem.
Sometimes my throttle doesn't respond. Sometimes the Motor accelerates by itself! Brake signal works fine.

The motor also accelerates (to random speeds) when the main cable is disconnected

now where the voodo magic begins:
i tried bridging the throttle:

nothing happened.

i tired bridging on the main cable (and even measured if I get 5V):

nothing happens.

however, if I connect the throttle, it works -> http://youtu.be/h3Vimnj6vag

What the hell is wrong here?!?!

I can not really start my diagnosis if simple things like this are so random
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:36:12 AM by Wummi »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP III Throttle trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
Sometimes a faulty ground connection can cause similar symptoms, but as yours also has a problem with the main cable disconnected, it is unlikely to be a ground connection problem.
It's more likely that you may have some water that has found its way into one of the connectors, or perhaps into the controller itself. Has it been ridden in wet weather recently, or perhaps washed off with a hosepipe etc.?

Check the big multi-junction block on the motor harness and see if there are any gaps where the wires enter the unit.
Sometimes the surface water on the road gets thrown from the tyre straight onto the connector, and capillary action will soon help the water to get inside especially with a very tiny gap.

If you can't find anything wrong with the motor wiring or connectors, I would suggest removing the controller to check for signs of water inside the controller housing.

Alan

P.S. If you bridged the throttle connections before the power was turned on it will not operate the motor due to a safety feature which prevents the bike from taking off if you accidentally turned on the power with the throttle activated. ;)

Offline Wummi

• Confirmed
Re: MP III Throttle trouble
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 01:05:33 PM »
thank you for the quick reply. it was actually parked outside last night, and it rained quite a bit.

i've had it outside in the rain a few times before, but there was no trouble.
all the connectors look dry inside, I think some water might have gotten into the controller  :-[

i'll have to check it out.

any general tips on waterproofing the mp3?