Author Topic: MP Vector Precharge Recommended?  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Wesleyb82

• Confirmed
MP Vector Precharge Recommended?
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:29:06 AM »
I'm using 48v SLA as a power source and disconnecting a battery terminal to turn the controller on and off. Crud for sure but it's a simple setup and I only use this bike every couple weeks. I am of course getting an arch and residue on the leads.

I searched around and it seems that precharge is recommended for long term use. Is this correct? My question is really if I could be effecting short term controller performance with this setup? If I should use a precharge resistor can someone help me pick the appropriate resistor rating for this controller/battery?

Thank you

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP Vector Precharge Recommended?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:16:55 AM »
The simple solution for the pre-charge is to have a momentary push button switch and resistor across your main switch contacts.
Simply hold the button down for a second before throwing the switch and you'll get no spark at all.

If you don't have a switch, it might be easier to put another connector on your battery positive connection.
This would be wired in parallel to the Positive cable but would have the resistor fitted in-line.
You simply connect the Negative lead first, then the Resistor lead followed by the Positive lead and again no sparks!
Simple solutions may not always be the best solution, but they are usually easier and cheaper.

Here's another interesting method that I came across while searching for a solution:

This picture shows both the connectors on the motor (speed controller) side.
It uses a ½ Watt 33 Ohm resistor with one end connected to the controller's negative female socket and the other end left sticking out of the heatshrink.
With this method, the positive lead must be connected first, then you simply touch the sticking out part of the resistor with the battery negative plug to pre-charge the capacitors in the controller before pushing it right into the socket. (Simple but effective yet again.)

I have tried resistor values between 10 and 100 Ohms and they all seem to work OK with 24V, 36V and 48V batteries, but you may want to ensure that your LED lights (if fitted) are turned off prior to precharging the controller to prevent the resistor from being overloaded.
If you only have ¼ Watt resistors, you can simply use four resistors wired in a series parallel configuration to produce the same value resistor that can carry four times as much current:

Also, do not try to operate the throttle if the battery is only connected through the precharge resistor as the high current will quickly cook the resistor!

If you would like more specific resistor values, check out this link.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:18:03 PM by Bikemad »