Author Topic: M.P performance and range changes from voltage output via controller USB cable  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
In anticipation of receiveing my MP kit,  can anyone shed any light on the differences between setting the controller on 24, 36 and 48volt   on a GM 48v Lithium battery via the USB cable and software.
For example will the 24v setting dramatically alter performance or change range?

Andrew

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Well I say yes, and I think Gary agrees to some degree also however, some say no?

I'm pretty sure the newer types that are all the same motor as mentioned in other posts - meaning yours you are in anticipation of, should be default set at 24v, setting to 48v on a larger wheel you would maybe notice a better top speed. I'm using cast 20" wheels that are quite heavy and I top at around 40km/h with dual 20" cast and 1x GM 48v 12Ah battery. I don't really notice the top speed difference so I leave it set at 24v. 48v is really sluggish!  :-[

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
well perhaps i'll have to look into it when my pie arrives,, trying out a few tests.

Andrew :)

Offline dirk pitt

it should be interesting to know exactly what this voltage parameter DOES effectively in the controller.
obviously, the voltage that you physically apply to the controller affects only the top speed.
the controller is able to accept any voltage up to 48v (perhaps more) and I think the controller will only adapt, depending on the voltage parameter, the PWM rate for the top speed to suit the total power this is just a guess.
the result is that if you say your max voltage is 24v, it will give you more current for a given speed.
could somebody confirm (or not) this assumption?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Okay well when you install your pie before your ride, set the regen to 50-70% and change it to 48v and go for a ride up the street...
Go back home and disconnect the power and 8-pin plug, then connect the USB and set it to 24v, then plug back in...

Hehe then if(when) you notice the big difference you will have a much bigger grin on your face :D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Yes I can aggree on that. There are a few things I have noticed. First right out of the box the MP is set at 24 volts by default and goes like crazy. Lots of torque and speed. Then when you set it using the USB cable to 36 or 48 volts there is a dramatic drop in torque and speed. Setting it back to 24 volts you regain the speed and torque again. This does seem like a way to get more out of your motor but a few things need to be considered. First off you will lose the controllers built in low voltage protection for your battery. Our batteries do have built in low voltage protection as well but I don't like running my battery until it kicks out. it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Secondly you will find when driving full speed for a long while or climbing steep hills the engine will cut out for 5 or 10 minutes. The motor has built in heat protection and when it gets hot it cuts out. To me this seems quite risky as you are running the motor in a way it was not intended and even though it cuts out when hot I wonder how many times it will do this without failing all together.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:47:49 PM by GM Canada »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Gary. Gee I certainly have not noticed the heat cut out, it hasn't cut out on me at any speed or hill. My top speed of the wheels on a flat is around 40km/h so maybe that has something to do with it?

It does cut out when the battery is low, I noticed 10 or so minutes of a 'low power' ride before the BMS shuts off.

I think I will be hooking up a CA for the LVC - I keep twitching when you mention that as I could possibly be running my cells down too much :S

Cheers

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
When running 2 motors is very unlikly you will ever get them hot enough to shut down.

Gary