Author Topic: Electric moped conversion  (Read 13122 times)

Offline jpitha

Electric moped conversion
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »
Hi All!

For christmas I received a used "Voy 88911" electric scooter from the girlfriend's father.  He hardly ever gives out gifts, so it was really cool that he thought of me and my commute to the train!

photo-1 by jpitha, on Flickr

The only problem is that the scooter is really too slow and can't climb hills enough to be useful for me.   But, I really like the thought he put into it, and I like electric vehicles in general (my daily driver is a Honda Insight hybrid) so I decided that an upgrade was in order!

photo-3 by jpitha, on Flickr

Old and slow!

After spending a long time online, I came across this site, and was very impressed with the community, the quality and the very nice directions and information provided by the shop, so I think I'll be buying my upgrade pieces here. 

I was thinking of the MW16B -- 16 inch Motor Wheel in 48v 1000 watt to replace my existing 250watt 36v motor, keeping my existing batteries (but adding another 12 volt to make 48v) and replacing the existing controller with the Programmable Cruise Controller v2.0 offered here.  I'm still trying to decide whether to replace my existing twist throttle with a replacement here that I know will work, I probably will, it's not too expensive. 

I figure, while it's winter up here in New England and too cold to ride the scooter, i'll get it upgraded and be ready to ride in style to the train come spring.  What do you think?  Did I pick the right pieces?

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Electric moped conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 12:34:57 AM »
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1669.0

This is what I think good and enough info

Offline jpitha

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
I read that thread, there is a lot of good info!  His tires are a different size than mine though, I can't use the same motor.  That thread gave me the inspiration to post my own project though.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »
Same idea different parts, what is your question? Or don't you need help :)

Offline jpitha

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »
Hah, I don't really need help, just making sure I have the right idea in parts, and to tell the guys at Golden Motor I really like their stuff!

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »
Nice to hear,  :D

Offline Codykay

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
Hi I have never driven anything on the road have no licence so I have just got a electric moped I very interested in any advice as my lights have stoped working I noticed it possible to up grade where could. I have my bike fixed found no repair service or upgrade I am a total girl can not even change a bulb does anyone no why my lights are not working now I total novice