Author Topic: Which controllers should I buy for these motors?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline DuncanDK

• Confirmed
Which controllers should I buy for these motors?
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:49:59 PM »
Hi all, - please help me along here....

I got these two motors today. Both of them are mountet in 26 inch wheels.
One is a front drive (picture 1+2) and the other one is a rear drive (picture 3-4).
Both motors have burned their controllers and I would like to get them going again.
I know that both motors are approximately two years old.

Here are my questions:
Which controllers should I get for these motors?
Can I use the new bluetooth controller?
Can I rebuild the motors into 20 inch wheels without any trouble?
What length of spokes should I use for 20 inch wheels?
What else do I need to get them running again? (I only have the original battery and charger besides the motors)
What are the names/model numbers of these motors?

Sincerely yours

Duncan

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:13:48 PM by DuncanDK »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Which controllers should I buy for these motors?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
Hi Duncan andto the forum.

You appear to have a pair of original Smart Pies, so you will need to use the early type controller.

You will also need the controller housings and the rear fan/disc brake mount that are missing from your pictures.

According to GM China, the early Smart Pies are not compatible with the Vector controllers, so unfortunately the newer Bluetooth controller is not an option. :(

It should be possible to build the Smart Pie into 36 hole 20" rims, but the conventional crossed spoke pattern would result in excessive angles between the spokes and the rim:

To avoid excessive spoke angles at the rim, GM assemble their 20" wheels with all the leading spokes on one side and all the trailing spokes on the other:

A much better method of installing the Smart Pie into a 20" rim (or smaller) could be achieved by drilling another 36 holes in the hub flanges as shown here:

This would allow a more conventional spoke angle with trailing and leading spokes distributed evenly on both sides of the wheel:

With a 72 hole hub, it would even be possible to fit the Smart Pie into a 16" rim if required:

The required spoke length will vary considerably according to the spoke pattern and actual rim being used.

You will also need the main wiring harness to match your controller connector along with a set of matching controls (Throttle, Brakes and Cruise button):

Hopefully I have covered most of the answers to your questions.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:43:04 PM by Bikemad »