Author Topic: PAS with Smart Pie4 does not work good  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
PAS with Smart Pie4 does not work good
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »
I finally got new controllers for our MP4 and SP4 that should work with the PAS. I have switched the controller in the SMP4 and it works good. PAS works also. But it is very bad at low settings using the display. On level 3-5 it is better but it will give power to the engine a short time then off no power. On and off. Even when stop pedaling it will turn on and off a few times.

What could be wrong and what can I do?

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
Re: PAS with Smart Pie4 does not work good
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:47:19 AM »
I have tweaked settings and still no good.
It is like it is digital

in setting 5 it is 0w then sort of 300w for a while then 0w and 300 w

The new controller is very noisie when it gives power. Like a hammer hitting a metall thing.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Make sure that you have fitted the correct Smart Pie controller into the Smart Pie (they might look the same, but they are actually different). The MP4 controller is usually marked 25 Amps and the Smart Pie controller is usually marked 18 Amps.

There have been several reports of this intermittent pedelec assistance, but unfortunately I don't recall seeing a solution to it. I suggest you contact your supplier and see if they can offer advice. If they are unable to help then you will have to contact David at Golden Motor in China.

If the magnet ring maintains a constant gap with the sensor as the pedals are rotated then it is unlikely to be a sensor problem, although it might just be worth checking the polarity of the five magnets to ensure they are all fitted with the same magnetic orientation.
(You can use another magnet to check the magnetic polarity.)

It is worth checking for excessive play in the Bottom Bracket, as this could also cause variation in the gap between the magnet ring and the sensor.

Some Smart Pies have a slight amount of rotational movement between the stator/controller housing and the axle which can produce a clonk as the movement is taken up when power is applied or regen in operated, and if this is the cause, reducing the "Acceleration" setting should improve this clonk.

If the new controller is constantly noisy under even load, perhaps it is actually an older (non-vector) controller. ::)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:35:21 PM by Bikemad »

Offline WestOz

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:51:06 AM »
Haggan,

Same problem as Wadimka and I have with our PAS and we have not been able to solve it.  I'm still trying to resolve it with David at Golden Motor but so far there hasn't been a solution.

Given that it doesn't seem to effect everyone, I suspect it is related to our MP4 Controllers, but only Golden Motor can confirm that and so far that hasn't been the case. 

Cheers,

WestOz

Offline Gabor

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »
I have the same problem with my Smart Pie.
Any solution to the problem would be appreciated.

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »
Ghaha Different controllers?

I got two controllers sent to me and the dealer did not say anything. No sticker or mark what I can see. Need to check again!

Yes this is really bad I! I buy with the promise that the PAS should work. Have to wait almost a year and then do the replacemant and rebuild my self!

And then it is not working. I got no advice from my dealer at all. "just test different settings"

Any updated from GM in China?

Offline Haggan

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Got reply from dealer. All the new controllers he got is of the same type. He says it should not be any problem to use MP4 controller in a SmartPie.
Just set the right Amps.

What was the reply from GM in China?