Author Topic: Sun EZ-3 Tri-Classic install  (Read 2477 times)

Offline KsKev

• Confirmed
Sun EZ-3 Tri-Classic install
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »
Hey everyone, new person here from the flatlands of Kansas!
I'm new to "e-bikes" and had a heck of a time finding a 16" front power wheel.
Someone mentioned GoldenMotors, so I gave a look....... And I think the search is over!
Looking at the 16" smartpie conversion kit for my Sun EZ-3 Tri-Classic. I think this will work.
But do have a couple questions......
When filling out the options was asked 2 or 3 button. I see one is for a horn,  is the other for cruise control? And what would I need the 3rd button for?
And lastly, would like to add to this system a analyst, but which one would be best for this set-up?
Don't want one that takes a lot of programming, one of the simplest.
Well, that all...... Glad I found this forum and looking forward in chatting with you all!!!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Sun EZ-3 Tri-Classic install
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:19:02 PM »
Hi Kev andto the forum.

The two button switch is used for the horn and cruise control function and comes pre-wired to simply plug into the control harness on the internal controller versions:

The three button switch contains an additional rocker switch and is intended for use with an external controller:

The additional switch can be used for many different functions including Reverse, PAS On/Off or speed limiting etc..
You could also swap the two position On/Off switch for a three position On/Off/On switch which could the be used for direction indicators along with some additional wiring and a suitable DC/DC converter.

The type of analyser will depend upon what you want to monitor.
A simple wattmeter style power analyser can be used to measure and/or record the following:
  • Actual battery voltage
  • Minimum battery voltage
  • Actual current (Amps)
  • Maximum current (Amps)
  • Actual power consumption (Watts)
  • Maximum power consumption (Watts)
  • Consumed battery capacity (Ah)
  • Energy consumption (Wh)

A more expensive alternative is the Cycle Analyst which also has a lot more functions related to speed, distance and time.

Alan

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:23:18 PM by Bikemad »

Offline KsKev

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 05:15:10 PM »
Thanks Alan for the info....... After looking closer to the available kits for my 16" front hub,  I think I'll go with the Magic Pie 5 vector, and getting the smart display.
Still trying to figure out which battery setup to go with. Leaning towards the LiFePO4 48V 10AH aluminum cased...... Any recommendations?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:18:25 PM by KsKev »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 10:00:11 PM »
Hi Kev.

If you don't have steep hills in the "flatlands" of Kansas, you may not need the high power of the Magic Pie, especially when it is inside a small 16" wheel with very little weight pushing down upon it.  ;)

There would also be a fair amount of residual drag from a Magic Pie 5 in such a small wheel that would probably be very noticeable at speeds above 7mph with a small 16" wheel.

A Smart Pie might be a more sensible option, unless you really do need a large amount of hill climbing power and don't intend to assist the motor with some pedal power.

Here are some rough figures calculated from the performance data for the following motors:

The 48V Smart Pie should produce ~20lbs of thrust @ 13mph 692W @ 74.9% efficiency.
                                                  ~42lbs of thrust @ 1.5mph 717W @ 17.4% efficiency.

The 48V Magic Pie Edge should produce ~20lbs of thrust @ 17.21mph 848W @ 80.7% efficiency.
                                                          ~50lbs of thrust @ 4mph 1060W @ 38.1% efficiency.

The 36V* earlier 16" Magic Pies should produce ~20lbs of thrust @ 16mph 808W @ 80.1% efficiency.
                                                        ~31lbs of thrust @ 12mph 1138W @ 66% efficiency.

*Unfortunately, I do not have any performance figures for the later 16" Magic Pie 4 or 5 with vector controllers, or earlier 16" versions running on 48V, but I would expect the speed figures under similar loads to be higher than the Magic Pie Edge.

The LiFePO4 48V 10AH aluminum cased battery is a good battery, but ideally it should be mounted over the front wheel (if possible) to provide better traction on the driven front wheel.

Alan

Offline KsKev

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:42:59 AM »
Allen,
Sorry for the late reply.
The Magic Pie does make sense, kicking around that idea.... And mounting the battery up front for the weight and more traction is a good idea.....
Thanks for your ideas!