Author Topic: Hi, my attempts with an older Magic Pie 2  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Defuzo

• Confirmed
Hi, my attempts with an older Magic Pie 2
« on: August 19, 2023, 11:31:24 PM »
Hi,

hmm.. allot of little questions. But here is a picture:

Dono if it's MP2 or 3, manage to change some parameters with the USB thingy. Bought this kit secondhand, battery was at zero (a fuzz about that also), but I will use other (own built) 36v battery (intended for 300W Bafang thingy), limits current to 10A, and also skipping extra "torque arm" (was not included).

Good bad ideer?
(This is in Sweden, -north Europe. I believe a pedal-sensor is needed for legislation in the EU-zone?)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Hi, my attempts with an older Magic Pie 2
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

That is definitely an MPII, if it was an MPIII you would see the controller inside the disc rotor mounting/cooling fan assembly (which the MPII doesn't have).

If you have a steel frame, as long as the axle nuts are tightened sufficiently it should be OK without a torque arm, especially if you are limited to 10 Amps.
However, if the rear dropouts are aluminium, I would strongly recommend that you install at least one torque arm.

If a pedal sensor is required to make your bike legal in Sweden, then it would definitely be a good idea to fit one.
If a hidden switch was also installed,you could turn the pedal assist On and Off as required, as it can be frustrating to use at times and a throttle gives you much better control of the power assistance.

If you are not legally allowed to use a throttle, I would suggest the one currently fitted should be made switchable (just like the pedal assist) so it could be quickly disabled when/if you are stopped.

Check your eBike legislation to find out exactly what is allowed, what is compulsory, and what is not allowed in Sweden.

Alan

Offline Defuzo

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 10:16:23 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

That is definitely an MPII, if it was an MPIII you would see the controller inside the disc rotor mounting/cooling fan assembly (which the MPII doesn't have).
Okey thx, so now I know: "its an MP2 then".
(that speed up to max with pedelec? if not together with some strange "Cycle Analyst" and RC shunt??)

If a pedal sensor is required to make your bike legal in Sweden, then it would definitely be a good idea to fit one.
If a hidden switch was also installed,you could turn the pedal assist On and Off as required, as it can be frustrating to use at times and a throttle gives you much better control of the power assistance.

If you are not legally allowed to use a throttle, I would suggest the one currently fitted should be made switchable (just like the pedal assist) so it could be quickly disabled when/if you are stopped.

Check your eBike legislation to find out exactly what is allowed, what is compulsory, and what is not allowed in Sweden.

Alan

Okey, I took another look, and pedelec is needed (one may go 6km/h max without pedaling in the EU-zone, else you need to have some driving license and insurance). But, on my other ebike, that sensor is faulty, I going mostly only with throttle.

Btw, to have a more comfortable bike-handle, I cut my (goldemotor) Twist Throttle, in half, see picture:
(was just some plastic nylon? tube)

Offline Defuzo

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 10:10:47 PM »
Any "datasheet" for MP2?
(I wanna use the 5volt output for lamps, but dono the max Amps I can draw out)

Or chip part-numbers??

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 01:19:04 PM »
The +5V output from the controller is only meant for powering low current Hall Sensors in the throttle and the pedelec sensor - NOT 5V lighting.
The +5V output used to power the motor's Hall Sensors appears to be a completely separate supply.

Unfortuntely, the +5V controller output tends to be a common weak point and its output voltage often becomes too low to allow a full throttle voltage signal (3.25V) to be produced, and it sometimes fails completely with no voltage output whatsoever.  :o

I strongly advise against placing any additional load on the +5V output as your motor will cut out completely if it is overloaded and eventually fails.
Also, I don't think replacement MPII controllers are still available, so you would need to modify the motor's wiring to install an external controller if the controller is damaged and cannot be repaired.  :(

Unfortunately, there is no data sheet for the controller, but I have attached a photo of my MPII's original controller circuit board (with the FETs already removed) and have circled what I believe to be the +5V regulator, but I could not find a direct link between this chip and either of the +5V output pads for the motor or the throttle/Pedelec sensors.  ???

I suggest that you use either high voltage LED lights or a separate DC:DC converter to power low voltage lighting.

Alan

Offline Defuzo

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 07:48:17 PM »
The +5V output from the controller is only meant for powering low current Hall Sensors in the throttle and the pedelec sensor - NOT 5V lighting.
The +5V output used to power the motor's Hall Sensors appears to be a completely separate supply.

Unfortuntely, the +5V controller output tends to be a common weak point and its output voltage often becomes too low to allow a full throttle voltage signal (3.25V) to be produced, and it sometimes fails completely with no voltage output whatsoever.  :o

I strongly advise against placing any additional load on the +5V output as your motor will cut out completely if it is overloaded and eventually fails.
Also, I don't think replacement MPII controllers are still available, so you would need to modify the motor's wiring to install an external controller if the controller is damaged and cannot be repaired.  :(

Unfortunately, there is no data sheet for the controller, but I have attached a photo of my MPII's original controller circuit board (with the FETs already removed) and have circled what I believe to be the +5V regulator, but I could not find a direct link between this chip and either of the +5V output pads for the motor or the throttle/Pedelec sensors.  ???

I suggest that you use either high voltage LED lights or a separate DC:DC converter to power low voltage lighting.

Alan

Oki, thanks for the picture. But I can't locate any real voltage regulator ether, dono what "8a 920" maybe.

I have a cable, that is marked "LED Lamps", see attached picture.
Also, the only sortof manual I found is this short pamphlet: https://www.goldenmotor.com/e-Bike-DIY/MPguide.pdf
(In the future I may wana have 100W strobe, and railguns.. to scare dogs...

Another stupid question: What is the difference between "goldenmotor.bike" and this "goldenmotor.com"?
(MP5 is the latest gearlesshubmotor on "goldenmotor.bike", but "MagicPie Edge" here at "goldenmotor.com")
Also, I can't find the link to this forum on this sites -frontpage (fount this forum by google).

Offline Defuzo

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 08:55:22 PM »
Alan

More google -searching, https://youtu.be/eLhL9wAN4A0?t=220
(that component is missing on your board, and its not a MP2 controller)

Another question: is MP2 peripherals compatible with newer MP?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 12:40:02 AM »
I have a cable, that is marked "LED Lamps", see attached picture.

That connector was meant for the GM lights which can run on full battery voltage that is switched On and Off using the push button switch on the throttle, so it is only suitable for high voltage LED lights that are designed to run on the full battery voltage. There are lots of LED lamps available that have a working voltage range of 12~80V, but the throttle switch and wiring is probably only suitable for a couple of Amps maximum.

Another stupid question: What is the difference between "goldenmotor.bike" and this "goldenmotor.com"?
(MP5 is the latest gearlesshubmotor on "goldenmotor.bike", but "MagicPie Edge" here at "goldenmotor.com")
Also, I can't find the link to this forum on this sites -frontpage (fount this forum by google).

Goldenmotor.com has always been the main website for Golden Motor Technology Co Ltd. in China who host this forum.
Goldenmotor.bike is now the main website for Golden Motor Canada (was goldenmotor.ca) who were originally based in Toronto, Canada, but are now listed in the dealer list as Golden Motor - North America as they are now based in Detroit, Michigan.

The Magic Pie Edge is basically a smaller, less powerful version of the Magic Pie 5, however, it is still bigger and more powerful than a Smart Pie, and all three versions of the Pie are available on both websites.  ;)

There is a link to this forum on the support page of goldenmotor.bike, but there hasn't been a link to this forum on the goldenmotor.com site for many years.  ::)

The controller shown in that video is an early external controller, and that chip is definitely not fitted on any of the MPI/MPII controllers that I've seen.
The unused holes in the MPII circuit board are marked b, c & e which would indicate that it is more likely to be a transistor, possibly something to do with the anti-theft wheel locking function which featured on some of the earlier external controllers, but this function was never implemented on any of the Magic Pie internal controllers.

The brakes, throttle and cruise/horn button unit should all work with newer Magic Pies, but they would all have to be fitted with different connectors to plug into the later control harnesses.
However, the MPII USB programming cable definitely will not work with newer Magic Pies.

Alan