Author Topic: Charger problem. (Model: UY240)  (Read 7323 times)

Offline StadsImker

• Confirmed
    • City Apiary in The Netherlands "Stads Imkerij"
Charger problem. (Model: UY240)
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:51:54 PM »
Hello,

I have a problem with my cc/cv charger 24volt/7A. It's not working correctly. If I connect my battery notthing happens. Normally the cooling fan started spinning and red charging light should light up. But with this charger the green (full battery light) and red light are glowing constantly... When I check the voltage it is a perfect 28,5volts. (I turned the voltage down a little, but I worked fine for more than 1 years on 28,5 volts)

Does anyone has an idea what kind of problem this could be. It worked fine for 1,5 years. Because I have two 24volt Lifepo4 battery pack to charge daily. I can still manage to ride, but charging get's a bit uncomfortable.

The charger should go trough 4 stages, but it seems not to see my empty battery-pack... Hope some one reconize my problem.
Thanks.
Love to ride my 60 year old Dutch Transport Bike, with MP5 and 24 volt 30 A LiFePO4 Headway battery-pack. Dec 2016 upgraded with two solar panels mono of 190 WP each and an extra 24V-30A (40152 8S2P) to get 48volts for the Magic Pie 5.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Charger problem. (Model: UY240)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:20:43 PM »
Hi Philip,

What voltage are the batteries reading (measured on the charging plug) before you connect the charger, and does the charger voltage (or the battery voltage) change at all when the charger is connected?

Is the charger refusing to charge both batteries or just one of the batteries?

Could the battery voltage be too low for the charger to commence charging?

I presume you have already checked any fuses on the charger?

I'm not sure what else to suggest that might help, apart for checking all connections on the charger and battery wiring for poor joints etc..

Alan

Offline StadsImker

• Confirmed
    • City Apiary in The Netherlands "Stads Imkerij"
Re: Charger problem. (Model: UY240)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
Hi Alan,

I have two identical chargers and battery-packs. But only one of the charges refuses to charge. The other one doesn't have any problem with both battery packs. So I can charge my transport bike. Ofcourse it takes double so long and with the hassle of changing to the other battery pack.

Normally I have a re-charge long before a low voltage on one or both of my battery packs.  Most of the times I recharge at 25,6 volts. (lifepo4 8s2p Headway 40152s 15A) Usualy I never get my battery pack under 25 volts.  8)

I think the problem is that the bad charger doesn't go into the first stage of charging. fast Constant Current mode. I think that is the first stage of the re-charge prosess is called. With other words it doesn't see the battery pack when I connect it. The other charger starts immediatly and works as always. So starting the fan and put's power in the cells.

I hope some one knows what I can do. Perhaps re-solder an element or change out anything.  ::)
Love to ride my 60 year old Dutch Transport Bike, with MP5 and 24 volt 30 A LiFePO4 Headway battery-pack. Dec 2016 upgraded with two solar panels mono of 190 WP each and an extra 24V-30A (40152 8S2P) to get 48volts for the Magic Pie 5.