Author Topic: Hi or low balancing of Lifepo batteries and how?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline SherylinRM

• Confirmed
Hi or low balancing of Lifepo batteries and how?
« on: July 05, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
I am curious about something.
I do not have the equipment to do a low balance on lifepo batteries.
Plus is scares me in that if I discharge to low, the batteries will die.
So is a top balance alone ok?
And once done.
Do I do it every time I charge the batteries?
If not, then do I disconnect it or what?
Also how often should I top balance the batteries?
I will be using 8 - 320 Ah lifepo batteries in series in case you need to know.  :)
Thank you.  :)
I read a book that has "Don't Panic" on the cover ;) LOL

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Hi or low balancing of Lifepo batteries and how?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 02:50:07 PM »
When you receive your new cells, they should all be of a similar voltage, and it is typically recommended to balance all cells to the exact same state of charge before constructing the battery pack.

All you need to do is wire all eight of the cells together in parallel and let them stand for 24 hours (or longer) to ensure they all stabilise at the same voltage before reconfiguring them into a series pack.

Your pack will require a suitable Battery Management System that is rated for both the charge and discharge current requirements and the BMS will be permanently connected to the pack to ensure that none of the cells are overloaded, overcharged or overdischarged. This prevents the battery from being accidentally discharged too low during use, therefore eliminating the risk of permanent cell damage.

After you have built the pack, the BMS will commence balancing the cells at the end of each full charge during the constant voltage balancing/equalisation stage when the maximum pack/cell voltage is reached.

If you regularly perform partial charges, the BMS will be unable to balance the cells and they may gradually go out of balance over a long period of time, but as  long as the battery has a full charge at least once every month it should not be a problem.

Some useful information on Battery Management Systems can be found here.

Alan

Offline SherylinRM

• Confirmed
Re: Hi or low balancing of Lifepo batteries and how?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 03:19:34 PM »
Ah yes, my hero lol.
Thanks Alan  ::)  ;)  :)
I read a book that has "Don't Panic" on the cover ;) LOL