Author Topic: Do LiFePo4 batteries NEED to be terminal up?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline SherylinRM

• Confirmed
Do LiFePo4 batteries NEED to be terminal up?
« on: June 18, 2020, 05:21:19 AM »
Can LiFePo4 batteries be laid on the sides or not?
I am wondering because to fit them where I would like them to go it would be easier for me if I could put them on their sides.
My problem though is that it is for a mobility scooter that goes over rough sidewalks and gets jolted hundreds of times an hour.
Would not the insides get mix or moved around and thereby make them less able to charge and do their thing?

The sidewalks here really are very bad.  I often feel beat up after a two hour ride. Once I get my new batteries I plan on much longer rides so the batteries safety is very important to me.

Anyhow, long story short. Will the insides scramble over their 6 year life span or no?

Or should I just suck it up and find a way to pack them terminal side up?

Thanks guys. :)
I read a book that has "Don't Panic" on the cover ;) LOL

Offline SherylinRM

• Confirmed
Re: Do LiFePo4 batteries NEED to be terminal up?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 05:23:42 AM »
I should add I suppose that they are 8 individual cells of 3.2 volts and 320 Ah each.
Not sure if that is important but just in case. :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:01:19 AM »
All the LiFePO4 batteries/cells that I have come across can be installed in any orientation, so no problem placing them on their sides whatsoever, and no chance of their insides being scrambled.  ;)

320Ah is very large, as eight 320Ah LiFePO4 cells are likely to weigh at least 95lbs, which sounds like a lot of additional weight for a mobility scooter.

A 320Ah pack will also require a high amp charger (at least 40 Amps) to fully charge an empty pack overnight in eight hours.  :-\

Alan

Offline SherylinRM

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 06:01:24 PM »
Thanks once again Alan.
Yes I am getting a 45 amp charger.
As for the weight. I just have to lose 35 pounds.
The batteries it in now are 60 pounds and the batteries coming are in fact about 95 pounds [good guess  ;D :o ].
So I only need to lose about 35 and I am within the weight limit LOL.
Also a good incentive as well. So there is that LOL. :)

Besides, if things go well I am hoping to get a new motor once I get the new batteries. And yes a new controller as well.
The big expense of course is the batteries for now.
20% of my annual income to be honest. [Ouch, I know].

Ok then, so 5 or 6 years of vibrations won't hurt the batteries lying on any side then. Got it.
This will make installing them MUCH easier. :)

Thank again Alan.

Wow, a few more answered questions and I will be an expert [ok stop laughing so hard LOL.  ::) :P 8) 8) :) :)  ]