Author Topic: 10kw 72v Motor spin only full speed with vec500 and joystick throttle  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Rafa/M

• Confirmed
Hello there

My motor is a 10kw 72v water cooled, battery pack is 72v 110ah, Controller VEC500, Throttle GM Power Outboard Joystick Throttle

It only speeds at, what I think is, full speed, I need to know if my throttle is wrong for this motor or if the controller has a problem.

here is a video of the motor spinning, that is the only speed it works, no matter where the throttle position is. It does spin forward and backwards if you push or pull the throttle.

https://youtu.be/igjTmpKP9nY

I tried using TPS pot, but motor did not spin

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Rafa andto the forum.

The VEC500 controllers rely on "Direct torque control" and are only able to control the motor's torque rather than motor's actual speed (rpm), which means that it will probably be unable to control the motor correctly until you place sufficient load on the motor to produce some measurable current draw that will vary in relation to the motor torque.

An unloaded motor spinning at a constant speed will produce zero torque, therefore the controller is unable to measure (or control) the power being supplied to an unloaded motor.  ;)

Alan