Author Topic: Experiences as a new e-biker  (Read 6174 times)

jensenff

Experiences as a new e-biker
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
I would like to share with the Forum my first experiences as an ebiker.  Odometer reads 120 km.  Not very much, but
I have enjoyed every meter of them.  ;D ;D 
The e-bike is in use for transport to - from work, transport to / from kindergarten with trailer attached
 And occasionally recreation on sat & sun

I have for some time wanted some motor - assistance on the bike.
Some hills did prevent me from fully enjoying the bike - ride.  I too old for exercise I thought.
I came over Golden Motor via Google on the net.  Surfed their site and ... made an order after one month thinking.

Information on the web GM - site is good. They had kits to rebuild existing frame.  This suited me well, technical interested.
Delivery from China with EMS was very quick.  When I finally was able to track the package, hitting ENTER instead of pressing the track - button on the tracking page of GM-site, the mailman already had mane an attempt to personal delivery on my home address. 
I picked up the wheel at the post office the next day. 
I emailed Tom for tracking number for the battery/rack/charger and got this prompt reply from Tom.
Content of packages: No damage, well packaged.
Battery / Rack / Charger in separate delivery some days later.

My kit-order was as follows:
26" Rear Magic Pie,  internal controller, thumb throttle, Cruise Control button,  Brake - levers PED - kit  36V26Ah LiIon Battery with charger plus rack.

Fitting the kit
First:  When buying a kit my mind was kind of in acceptance - modus for dealing with trouble / adaption’s etc.  Luckily so!
There was nothing such as an install instruction in the box.  I started without any description.
When I fitted the wheel, I hit several obstacles.  I think I found ALL of them described on this Forum.

1. Freewheel.  I added a 6 gear freewheel.  After first attempt I found out the use of two shims in the kit. I had to add one before attaching the freewheel.  Without shims, the freewheel was not clear of the static hub.
2. Inner tube:  I had to use a tire an inner tube with long valve.  The rim is double on the pie, and need an extra long valve - tube. The rim is not wide, so I had to kind of wrap the tire around the inner tube to make it fit
3. Spokes.  Loose spokes.  Strange sound during the first rides.  I also managed to lose one spoke - cap inside the double rim.  Spokes need to be looked after regularly
4. 6 gear freewheel makes the hub wide.  Almost too wide.  Steel frame had to be brutally widened.  I would have used fewer gears if I was to redo this.  4 or possibly 5.  4 for sure.
5. I do have some egg - shape on the rim, and the wheel is left - sided.  Not perfectly trued.
6. The micro-switch on the brake lever is an important security feature. Stops the motor when I use the brake

Using  the kit,  120km so far
My ebike has really met my expectations!  I really enjoy ebike riding. 
I used SLA’s at first before the Liion battery pack was delivered.
Liion –experience:  I did ride for 42km  on one charged pack.  Then I got ‘cutoffs’. Battery closed itself down and no current delivery to MagicPie.  I believe it is the battery BMS  who cutoff the battery for cell – self protection. I did not get this with the probably more robust SLA’s.  Reading about LiIon on the net made me change behavior:  I will not use the pack fully before charging anymore.  I will always charge whenever possible . Also leave the charger attached overnight.  I will also protect the pack from heat.  Sunlight / warm corner etc etc .  The LiIon by nature looses capacity for age, and this is accelerated by heat.    LiIon – enemy numero uno seems to be one or two cells ‘falling behind’ and heat. 
I will never use the LiIon pack to the end.
Sidestep:  I opened an old , dead Laptop LiIon after reading myself up on LiIon’s.  I charged the cells manually with an adjustable power.   The Laptop – pack got new life and did after this treatment accept charging.  It seems to give 1-1,5 hour laptop – life now.

I also got a feeling when looking and experience LiIon contra SLA capabilities:  LiIon will change the world!  :P

At last, some not so nice things and something I will have to prepare for:
- I have one faulty charger.  I bought a new one myself.  No reply from Tom after using the word 'Warranty'   ;D ;D  (otherwise very quick response).  I will make my own , spare charger.
- I choose to accept all this due to the fact it is a kit and it is from far away with no local dealer. I am on my own , I have to solve issues myself.
- I will advise to use a dealer and I will do so myself if I am to by som more goodies...
- This forum is a must.  I have already noticed great knowledge and met nice people her.  I have found everything I need, and I have got help , fast ,  when posting questions.  Web is great! ;D

- I fear FET & controller probs.  I think we need a troubleshoot guide , fet replacement guide  and so on.   This descriptions and information might lurk inside the forum already.  Possibly I have not found it yet.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Experiences as a new e-biker
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »
You learn that one day you will have a favorite device for this hub and one works really good with another. And so on.  Seems everything has its own persoinalty to a lesser degree.

I ended up with two kits that were dead with in a month.  I shorted my first controlller out on the SLA exposed terminals day one and my second kit had its wires ruined when it fell over.  That took out the comtroller too.

Do you have the USB cable?  If so Mind me asking what you had min, max, currnet regen percentage set at?

I just bought two pie and I want to knowabout the regen percentages.  I have a theory on the settings.

AH*cC/Imax*100=regen%.

Anyone intereted in me explaining the above equasion and what it means.  A means to set regen percentage by just knowing your pack size and charge current ability.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:40:28 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

jensenff

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
I love my Pie!  The intention with the post was to share newbie - experiences and to spread the word it is a KIT and you will have to expect 'things' to happend. 
I really enjoy my Ppie and I 'm utterly impressed by it's capabilities.  I really hope it will last hehe ;D

Then, I got the USB cable also...

Default settings on my pie was 30 A continous, 50 A peak. Regen was 100%.
This is usable, regen possibly a little to much, but then again;  easy to manage by using the brake lever.  You will certainly feel Regen kick in when activated with this setting.

Even so, I have reduced it to a little less;  I've set I to 80%. I also reduced continous Amps to 25A.
My thinking: 
1)
Regen reduced by fear.  I fear to much amps back if battery BMS cuttoff us BAD.  I have not good control of battery BMS-cutoff.  I can reduce risk by always charge and to reduce a little on regen return amps. The 'look-and-feel'  with this setting is you will not so clearly feel the regen kick in. It will give longer regen periodes.  Writing this it comes to me, is this really better?? 
2)
Continous Amps reduced to extend range.

I have measured range with 'my kind og riding'  ,  running the LIION until cutoff. I did this once and will not repeat it.  But range was  41,8 km.

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
The intention with the post was to share newbie - experiences and to spread the word it is a KIT and you will have to expect 'things' to happend. 

Great post, I'll do something similar when I'm done with my new project.

Continous Amps reduced to extend range.

I have measured range with 'my kind og riding'  ,  running the LIION until cutoff. I did this once and will not repeat it.  But range was  41,8 km.

Have you noticed any difference?

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
Yes, a good post. :)

I also experienced much of the same problems as you; loose spokes, had to use force on the frame to make it fit (Standard 750W rear motor; not a pie...) rim a little eggshaped (Might come from the first ride with loose spokes.  :P )
Also, I had one shorted FET on the regen side in my external controller; had to disconnect the controller to pedal home...  :-\ With the external controller, it was not to hard to swap the FET; I replaced it with a 'weaker' FET (55V, 80A), and it's still there; still working. ;)

My latest 'problem' are water getting into my 36V, 16Ah LiIon battery on the BMS side during heavy rain... I've drilled som small drain holes in the rear end-cap, and are now in the process to sew a cover for the battery out of a piece of wax-cloth... ;)

Due to the high fun-level these kits have, they are best suited to people with a bit of diy-spirit... :D

Edit:
I also get around 42km ride on one charge if I run the battery 'flat'... ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:33:08 AM by Cornelius »

jensenff

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »

Have you noticed any difference?
Peter
[/quote]
Hardy noticable;  a little less top speed, 29-33km/h  instead og 33-35km/h.  I feel or notice no change in acceleration.  Still good.
Range , as is what you probably ment, sorry;  I will not run my LiIon to the end anymore.  At least until I change my mind hehe  ;D.  I belive now they have better shorter cycles and more charges.  I am aware of the charge - count lifetime for liion.
Regen is still a little to much;  I fear damaging the liion. Wil reduce more.  I will follow 317537=LESLIEs post ,  check it out. (Programming the controller (ehh I do not know how to link a post...)  I think that thread will be the 'regen' post for all of us

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »

Range , as is what you probably ment, sorry;  I will not run my LiIon to the end anymore.

Regen is still a little to much;  I fear damaging the liion. Wil reduce more.  I will follow 317537=LESLIEs post ,  check it out. (Programming the controller (ehh I do not know how to link a post...)  I think that thread will be the 'regen' post for all of us
It wasn’t the range I meant so you gave me the right answer. I think the LiFePo4 batteries comes with a battery manages system (BMS) which will prevent deep unloading so when the batteries stops working it’s the BMS that cuts off.

I’m not sure how to post a link to a post either, but this will probably work. http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2402.msg13422#msg13422

Leslie and Alan rules, they are the undisputed reason for the high standard of this forum.

Btw, Alan is BikeMad and 317537 is LESLIE upside down.
 Peter
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:52:23 PM by Sundsvall »
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C