Author Topic: VEC300 programming problems  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Jusp

• Confirmed
VEC300 programming problems
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:51:56 AM »
I just finished installing a 5KW BLDC motor in my sailing boat and then wanted to tune the VEC300 controller settings, because the default factory settings seems to top the motor RPM to some low maximum value.

It then appeared that the programmer cable that I received with the motor has an extension part that splits it in two connectors, please see attachment.
One of these connectors fits in the programming slot in my controller but I did not see any place for the second connector, the middle one in the attached picture.
Sure enough, when just trying the fitting connector, with the other connector dangling the PI-800 app did not connect but gave a failure popup.

I see many threads on programming cable trouble on this forum, but none of them helped me. Does anyone have tips to get me going?

Thanks,

Juul

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: VEC300 programming problems
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »
Hi Jusp,

Since you don't have a Com port setting showing in the Com selection window did you...

1) Install the DRIVER for the dongle?
2) Use a USB port right off your computer? (No external multi-port add-on)
3) Find the Com port for the dongle in Device Manager?
4) Set the software to THAT Com port number?
5) Try another USB port... and/or reboot computer after changes.

This is what I did for a Magic Pie 5 communication...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/48457-1st-build-e-bike-rider-magic-pie-v5-rear-bottle-batt-52v-11-5ah-huffy-parkside?p=62280#post62280

Regards,
T.C.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Jusp

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 04:00:15 AM »
Yep, it appeared to be the missing driver. My Windows 10 pulled it off its own hard drive when I asked it to search for one. After that I indeed had a COM show up in the PI-800 menu.
I am home now, so no boat attached to the other end of the cable, but this looks promising.
Thanks for the hints Tommycat.

Juul

Offline Jusp

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:17:00 PM »
The driver made the motor controller accessible from the PI-800 app. But one of the first things I then did was touch the 'load default values' button of the app. This immediately loaded the values for a 72V motor on the 48V motor that I happen to have, without any attempt to probe the actual motor, controller or voltage of batteries that were attached, grr. After that my previously running system stopped working, giving 12 LED/sound flashes ("abnormal throttle input"), even after I selected 48V in the app and downloaded these settings. These beeps are likely caused by  the throttle range protection that is now enabled, I recall that this was off before. I have a pot meter attached, and boot with 0V, which is lower than either of the 'lowest allowable" and "lowest exit" values (and I now see that 'pot meter throttle' is an app setting).

I have the following questions:

1) Just to get this out of the way because it does not seem to be the case, but is it possible for PI-800 to cause permanent controller or motor damage, by setting 'wrong' values? (see also question 4 on motor parameters:))

2) Could someone send me a .foc file with the original 48V motor controller settings? I have the current settings that the app gave me attached, but feel safer starting experiments from original factory settings that were working for me.

3) Is there a user manual for this programmer, explaining the different settings? The help popups in the app are often, but not always completely explanatory.

4) The app seems to allow altering motor parameters such as number of pole pairs and rated motor speed, but these seem to be motor hardware characteristics, not parameters that make sense to change.
     My nr of pole pairs is set to 4, is this the amount of motor coils? I have three.

5) Is there any way to tune motor performance, e.g. by playing with motor current settings? My settings now include a 280A max phase current, zero seconds duration.
     What exactly is the boost function?

Thanks,

Juul

Offline Lucfer1501

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:02:32 PM »
The driver made the motor controller accessible from the PI-800 app. But one of the first things I then did was touch the 'load default values' button of the app. This immediately loaded the values for a 72V motor on the 48V motor that I happen to have, without any attempt to probe the actual motor, controller or voltage of batteries that were attached, grr. After that my previously running system stopped working, giving 12 LED/sound flashes ("abnormal throttle input"), even after I selected 48V in the app and downloaded these settings. These beeps are likely caused by  the throttle range protection that is now enabled, I recall that this was off before. I have a pot meter attached, and boot with 0V, which is lower than either of the 'lowest allowable" and "lowest exit" values (and I now see that 'pot meter throttle' is an app setting).

I have the following questions:

1) Just to get this out of the way because it does not seem to be the case, but is it possible for PI-800 to cause permanent controller or motor damage, by setting 'wrong' values? (see also question 4 on motor parameters:))

2) Could someone send me a .foc file with the original 48V motor controller settings? I have the current settings that the app gave me attached, but feel safer starting experiments from original factory settings that were working for me.

3) Is there a user manual for this programmer, explaining the different settings? The help popups in the app are often, but not always completely explanatory.

4) The app seems to allow altering motor parameters such as number of pole pairs and rated motor speed, but these seem to be motor hardware characteristics, not parameters that make sense to change.
     My nr of pole pairs is set to 4, is this the amount of motor coils? I have three.

5) Is there any way to tune motor performance, e.g. by playing with motor current settings? My settings now include a 280A max phase current, zero seconds duration.
     What exactly is the boost function?

Thanks,

Juul

Hello, I answer your questions based on my recent experience programing my VEC200 / HPM3000B.

1) I don't think so. If you can still download and upload configurations to your VEC300 I think it should be fine, but I am no expert.

2) I could send you the default settings for my VEC200 - 48V.

3) The only manual I know from GM explains too little. It basically only explains the wiring.
I have been gathering information here on the forum about the parameters and their configuration to develop a manual. The manual is almost complete. Problem is, I made it in Portuguese. I 'll consider translating it in the future.

4) How do you know that? Can you actually see the inside of the motor? From what I have read in the forum the 5Kw motor has 4 pole pairs

5) Don't know. I am actually interested in whatever information you acquire about this.

Regards,

Lucas

Offline Jusp

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 09:19:30 PM »
Thanks Lucas,

Tried playing with it today, but my motor is not running. Yes, please send me the VEC200 settings, let's see what they tell me.
Here are today's (miserable) results:

1) I decided that error #12, abnormal throttle input could be addressed by disabling the throttle voltage range protection.
     Doing so gave another error: continuous beeps/flashes once every second. This is not documented in the motor controller guide.
     At one moment I also got 16 beeps/flashes (I counted them several times to be sure), which is not documented in the guide either.

2) On my home computer (without controller attached) I can select "potentiometer" as speed throttle type.
    On the boat (with a pot meter actually attached as throttle), I seem unable to do that.

So bottom line is that I need to have the factory settings programmed back (on which the motor was running), and I need to have the two anonymous errors explained.

Help, anyone!

Offline Lucfer1501

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 12:11:57 AM »
Sorry I have been away. I can only give you the settings monday since I am away from the controller. I Will remeber to send it.

Offline Lucfer1501

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:58:47 PM »
Here is the default configuration for my vec240 using the software PI-800