General Category > Magic Pie & Smart Pie Discussions

Magic Pie 4 (Vector Control)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Morgen 3Eman:
Hi Alan,

Hey, it looks like I better drop Gary a line.  The quality improvements are obvious, even from the video.  The connector change and the conformal coating on the circuit board are huge improvements to the reliability problems I have complained about.  Thanks for the link to the video.

TTFN,
Dennis

Supchrgamx:
looks like with this controller your moving to the head of the pack
any thoughts on making it a 2 speed hub (y- delta)
don't get me wrong the mag pie 3 was great
pretty sure the mag pie 4 will be greater
if nothing else adding off time into the load cycle should increase distance traveled and reduce heat into the fets
I just think adding y-delta would be the best for top speed cruising
any thoughts

Laurence

Bikemad:

--- Quote from: Morgen 3Eman on August 01, 2014, 05:27:28 PM ---Will the SineWave controller fit an MP3?

--- End quote ---

Time for some clarification on this matter.

Basically, the controller can be made to fit the MPIII but unfortunately it will not work properly due to changes with the windings and the hall sensor positions that were specifically made to suit the sine wave controller.
You end up with a motor that will do nothing between 0 and 20% throttle movement, and will suddenly run at full speed throughout the remaining 80% of the throttle movement. You basically end up with a rotary ON/OFF switch instead of a variable throttle and changing the program settings seems to make no difference.

Now that I have actually tried it myself, and I recommend that the sine wave controller should not be used to upgrade an MPIII to vector control.

If you want to upgrade to vector control you will need to purchase a complete new kit.

Alan

Supchrgamx:
what did they do to the winding

Laurence

Bikemad:

I don't know exactly what was changed but I believe the sequence of the coil windings and the positioning of the hall sensors has been altered to optimise the power and efficiency in both forward and reverse directions.

I don't think that automatic Delta "Y" switching will be an option with the current vector controllers, but as GM are continually improving controllers, I guess it may be possible sometime in the future.

The vector controllers are not universal like their predecessor, they are specifically programmed at firmware level to suit the specific motor that they will be fitted to, therefore a Smart Pie 4 Vector controller is not suitable for the Magic Pie 4 motor (and vice versa).

I have already discovered that the MPIII doesn't work very well with the Magic Pie 4 vector controller, and also that it won't even run with the Smart Pie vector controller. ::)

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version