Author Topic: Help! 3KW BLDC Motor won't run with VEC200 controller  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Justin824

• Confirmed
Help! 3KW BLDC Motor won't run with VEC200 controller
« on: April 12, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
I am using a 3KW BLDC air-cooled Golden motor with a VEC-200 motor controller. Everything was working fine until I applied a load to the motor last night. Now whenever I turn on the controller the motor just periodically turns a tiny amount, in a manner I would call jerking.

I hooked up the controller to a 5KW motor I have and this motor exhibits the same behaviour, leading me to believe the problem is the controller. My voltage in is fine. Any suggestions for something I could do to fix the controller?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Help! 3KW BLDC Motor won't run with VEC200 controller
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
Hi Justin andto the forum.

If the controller is still under warranty, you will need to contact your supplier directly and ask for their assistance with this problem.

Alan

Offline Justin824

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »
I discovered the problem: the motor phases were not connected in the correct order. Everything is working now!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:18:26 PM »
It's good to hear that you've got it working again, but I don't understand why "everything was working fine" to begin with, yet it only started misbehaving after a load had been applied to the motor.  ???

Did the 5kW motor also have a load applied to it?

Anyway, at least it was a cheap and easy fix. ;)

Alan

Offline Justin824

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »
Before the load was applied, we had to dissassemble and reassemble the system. In doing so, we inadvertently changed the order of the motor connections. We did not think the order was important, so we didn't consider that this would/could be a problem.

We have not tested the 5KW motor under load yet. Both motors now work properly under no load, and the 3KW motor is working under load.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:29:04 PM by Justin824 »