Author Topic: Sticky throttle Magic Pie Edge  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Sticky throttle Magic Pie Edge
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »
Took my new motor for its first ride. Don't have the bike build completely finished but I have enough to ride it once. Everything works great. I'm impressed with the motor, it's everything my Smart Pie is and more but for one problem - the throttle sticks. Not electronically, it sticks mechanically. It's a thumb throttle and it doesn't return unless I pull it back by hooking my thumb under it. Any suggestions? Can I lube it or will that but the electronics? Will my Smart Pie throttle fit? That bike isn't here so I can't check, I can always swap them off it does.

Side question, what's that button for?

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Sticky throttle Magic Pie Edge
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
This grey button just above the throttle mechanism. What does it do? Didn't seem to do anything to me.

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
Solved it. The bend in my handlebars was causing it to hit the grip at the end of the track. Fine now. And the button is lights.

Offline NR

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:41:42 PM »
Grey switch is for lights, couples light output wire directly to battery power, so carefull, as it can be 48v+.
I rerouted it for a simple motor stop by breaking the 5v for thottle  :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 11:07:52 AM »
The throttle sticks. Not electronically, it sticks mechanically. It's a thumb throttle and it doesn't return unless I pull it back by hooking my thumb under it. Any suggestions? Can I lube it or will that but the electronics? Will my Smart Pie throttle fit?

I realise your particular problem was not due to internal friction, but if it was, it should be OK to apply some non-electrically conductive lubricant to the moving parts to reduce any unwanted internal friction.

I suspect that your Smart Pie throttle will have the same connector as the Edge, but it does not necessarily follow that they will be wired the same internally just because they use the same connectors. :(

I know there have been slight differences in the throttle wiring on some earlier versions of the Magic Pie, therefore I am unable to say that the later MPIII, MP4, MP5 MP Edge and Smart Pie throttles are safe to interchange.  :-\

If they both have the same later harness connector shown above, then they may well use the same throttles, but if the throttles were wired differently, this could result in damage to the control harness, the controller, or possibly both.  :o

I would check the internal throttle connections in relation to the individual pins by carrying out a continuity test with an Ohmmeter, in order to confirm that both throttles were actually wired the same.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:22:58 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »
Too late for that, I already tried it lol. I didn't end up swapping them because I fixed the problem but if anyone was curious the SP throttle worked fine.