Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) 26 Inch Conversion Kit question  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Mac5

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) 26 Inch Conversion Kit question
« on: September 12, 2016, 03:30:12 AM »
Hi,
I have a small distribution business and we are starting to introduce e-bikes but have come upon a problem.
The operator tends to treat the 250w geared hub as a motorbike(stop and start just using the throttle which
is burning out the motor very quickly)
So my question is would the MP5 Kit be able to handle this sort of treatment?
The bike would be stopped and started up to 500 times a day and would be running with a 36v battery

Cheers Mac
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 03:58:28 AM by Mac5 »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) 26 Inch Conversion Kit question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
Hi Mac andto the forum.

The MP5 should be fine for continuous stop/start use, and you can also reduce the acceleration setting to reduce the initial power being supplied on initial take off for improved range.

Unlike the 250W geared motors, the MP5's controller has a built in temperature safety cutoff to protect the internal controller, and the stators on the Magic Pies are very large, so the generated heat is dissipated over a much larger area, and I have never seen (or heard of) Magic Pie stator windings that have been damaged from excessive heat.

But you may need to reduce the controller's maximum speed and current settings to comply with local legislation if they are to be used for highway use (or possibly reduce just the current setting to prevent the battery from being overloaded if you are using lower power batteries for offroad use);)

Alan

Offline Mac5

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) 26 Inch Conversion Kit question
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »
Thanks Alan,
Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully I don't report back in the future with your first burnt out MP5 ;)