Author Topic: Bus Bike Racks  (Read 6797 times)

Offline mike662

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Bus Bike Racks
« on: June 01, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »
Hello all. I once took my bike on a bus rack, the kind that holds the bottom quarter of the wheels in place. The bike was fine after the bus ride. However, I am worried that continually using such a rack can bend the wheels due to the weight of the hub motor. I take the battery off of the bike, so the motor is the only thing adding to the weight of the bike. Does anyone regularly put their bike in such a rack? Does anyone know if the metal of the GM wheel is strong enough to resist the bending caused by the bus accelerating and decelerating rapidly?

For those who are unfamiliar, here is the typical bus bike rack:

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Bus Bike Racks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
They should be able to cope with the load without any problem whatsoever, it hardly compares to the amount of side load exerted upon a trike's wheel when cornering hard.
If the coach runs into the back of the car in front, it might be a different matter altogether. ;)

About fourteen years ago, I was given ten days to build a "pedal car" which was constructed mainly from some old bikes from the local recycling centre along with a few scrap pieces of metal tubing and plywood etc, as we had signed up at short notice to compete in a two hour long charity "Pedal Car Grand Prix", and this was the result a week later:

And here it is in action, following some fine tuning and a few finishing touches, with me at the controls again:

Initially I was concerned as to whether the 24" wheels would be able to withstand the massive side loads, and I even incorporated some negative camber on the rear wheels to help to withstand the load.
The thin wheels proved to be capable of withstanding tremendous side forces on the corners, and it could even be ridden tipped up on two wheels without any signs of the wheels buckling. The only time we suffered a bent wheel was when it was rammed in the side by another competitor's gokart as we stopped quickly due to an incident involving another competitor on one of the bends.

Spoked wheels are surprisingly strong and resilient, even though they appear to be so incredibly fragile and weak.

I managed to find a YouTube video of last years event if anyone's interested.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:07:36 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:47:59 AM »
Thise are some great pictures! I would love that 4 wheeler:)

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:06:00 AM »
Hello all. I once took my bike on a bus rack, the kind that holds the bottom quarter of the wheels in place. The bike was fine after the bus ride. However, I am worried that continually using such a rack can bend the wheels due to the weight of the hub motor. I take the battery off of the bike, so the motor is the only thing adding to the weight of the bike. Does anyone regularly put their bike in such a rack? Does anyone know if the metal of the GM wheel is strong enough to resist the bending caused by the bus accelerating and decelerating rapidly?

I am surprized they let you put your bike on the rack!  I recall when using the rack the front wheel is held quite good but the back is free. Maybe you need to put the wheel that has the motor in the front wheel position on the rack. But then the bus driver will wonder why it is backwards and may eventually figure out its an ebike and Booooooot!. :)

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:59:09 AM »

I managed to find a YouTube video of last years event if anyone's interested.

Alan

Ohhhh I was hoping to see your 4 wheeler in the video but no cigar!! Boringgggg lol

Alan, what I did find quite amusing was 1:00 into the video the guy pushing the white pedal car and he pushes too far!! haha

Oh and Miss Torbay? I think it said on her sash, anyway she wasn't bad for barely legal ;) I hope she was she the prize

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Pedal car
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »
Thise are some great pictures! I would love that 4 wheeler:)

I bet you'd have four Pies powering it, pulling a huge trailer full of batteries on the back . ;D

Ohhhh I was hoping to see your 4 wheeler in the video but no cigar!! Boringgggg lol

Sorry Monkey, but I don't have any videos from that long ago, these pictures are all I have left of the pedal car which, after several years of competing in the event, was eventually returned to the place it originally came from; the recycling centre!  ;D

The first year we entered, we managed to finish in third place, and considering how unfit our team was, I think we did very well.  I was probably more chuffed when I discovered that we had actually beaten both of the Royal Navy's teams.

Alan

Offline mike662

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bikemad. I never thought about the side loads anything that has 3 or more wheels would have. This puts my mind at ease, so I guess I'll be taking my bike on the bus more often then  :)

I am surprized they let you put your bike on the rack!  I recall when using the rack the front wheel is held quite good but the back is free. Maybe you need to put the wheel that has the motor in the front wheel position on the rack. But then the bus driver will wonder why it is backwards and may eventually figure out its an ebike and Booooooot!. :)

Gary

Have you ever been rejected from taking an ebike on the bus' rack Gary? Most people who see me biking every day don't realize I'm riding an ebike as the hub motor is pretty stealthy. I figure that as long as the battery pack is in my backpack before the driver can see it, there shouldn't be any problems (It's just a bike with a resistive hub brake system, right? ;) )