Author Topic: Sealing the motor covers with copper grease  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Avantgarder

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Sealing the motor covers with copper grease
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:57:01 AM »
I wanted to share with you a cool method I found to keep the Magic pie (or any other motor) covers sealed to rain and humidity and prevent inside corrosion at the same time.
When I recently opened the covers of the motor to replace a defected controller I was amazed to find corrosion at the sides of the hub.
By sealing the surface of the hub contacting the covers with a generous dose of copper grease no water will ever penetrate and the grease will protect this area prone to corrosion.

The only type of grease I would recommend is copper grease:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-500g-MULTI-PURPOSE-GREASE-TIN-COPPER-ANTI-SEIZE-LITHIUM-BASED-HIGH-MELTING-/190585403913?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item2c5fc67a09

1. It's durable to very high temperatures and is used for cylinder heads in gas motors.
2. It's extremely sticky and will not drain. At the same time can be easily cleaned if needed to.
3. Stays there forever. I greased my Espresso machine boiler 4 years ago and the grease is still there.

Very important:

If you consider rubbing the corrosion with sand paper. Be very careful not to rub the adjacent motor wires.