Author Topic: Silver and gold magic controller  (Read 9496 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Silver and gold magic controller
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »
Hi Gary,

Can I ask if you have ever reset the controller in to Phase calibration detection mode (step 8. in the Cruise controller manual). by utilizing the sequence in the manual or if you have been able to do it via the software?

In the software there is two choices for phase, 120 degrees (default GM) and 60 degrees.  This does not allow for an 'auto detect' so please correct me if I'm wrong but I can't use the software to enter that mode.

Therefore yes, I believe you don't need anything but a USB cable, controller, and software but you can't change every parameter or enter into any mode by only using the software.

Please let me know if you know otherwise.

Kind regards,

Carl

Sure you can ask, but that doesn't mean I will know what your talking about? Sorry...

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 02:11:02 AM »
Maybe you should be carefull what you do here.

The question that stands out, why would one want to change the phase angle of the controller in the first place, if auto detect resets these settings.

To know these things one must of change the settings to 60 degree phase angle and boot it up to find the settings have been reset to 120 degree.

There is sensorless mode to consider too and possibly the controller need the hall sensors to be operational for the auto detect to work.

Maybe some of the settings are for testing the phase of the newer contollers, possibly, where they have no motor installed and need to see how the controller phase angle times under a oscilloscope..

Or maybe the auto detect features came after the software settings were designed.  Maybe GM engineers have been using the cable software for years and only recently opened it up to the customers.

The auto detect in this case is the software users best  friend.  There be bad things that can happen when setting the controller to do 60 deg on a 120 deg motor.

Unless we ask the engineer all these questions we can only guess the answers.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:22:38 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
So did we ever figure out what (if anything) is different (besides the paint color) between the silver and gold controllers?

Yao also referred to mine as a "bronze controller" after seeing a picture of it in one of my posts.

From what I can tell its the colour, The gold is very Kewl looking!

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 03:19:43 AM »
My late Grandfather had our old phone coated in gold plating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plating#Gold_plating

That would be a nice colour GM motor and controller to own.

Bring it on