Author Topic: Using regenerative braking in both forward and reverse with the VEC200 controller  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Steveisback

• Confirmed
Hi there,

I am trying to use the HPM3000b and the VEC200 for a special project where I am required to use the regen brake feature in both directions of travel. It doesn't seem to work in reverse. Is this just the way the VEC controllers are? or is there something I can do to get around this?? I really want to use GoldenMotor gear for this but if I can't brake in both directions then I'll probably have to go for a Kelly Controller or similar.

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Steve

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Steve andto the forum.

The regen (and the cruise function) will not work when using the reverse function on the VEC controllers.

The only way around this would be to have a special switch to physically change over the correct pair of Hall sensors and Phase wires to change the direction of the motor, instead of using the controller's built in reverse function.

To reverse the motor's default direction of rotation from the standard wiring, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be transposed, and the Green and Yellow must be transposed on the Hall sensor wires.

A simple DPDT relay could be used for the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires, but you would need a crossover switch capable of switching very high AC current to swap the Blue and Yellow Phase wires.  ;)

Alan

Offline Steveisback

• Confirmed
Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Steve