Author Topic: battery question  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
battery question
« on: January 29, 2015, 02:07:20 AM »
i'm uneducated about batteries and motors so I need to know if this battery will work for my Magic Pie 3 Motor:

Here's the specs:
* Voltage : 48V
* Capacity: 10Ah
* Cut-off voltage: 34V
* Max. discharging current: 35Amp
* Max Continuous Discharging Amperage: 20 Amps
* Rated Discharging Amperage: 15 Amps
* Charging Current: <5 Amps
* Charging Voltage: 57.6 Volts
* Lifecycle: > 85% capacity after 1000 cycles.
* Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, > 70% capacity after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)
* Dimension: 305X75X130mm

thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: battery question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
The only bit that would really concern me is the charging current being limited to less than 5 Amps, as the regen current produced by the MPIII during high speed braking will be a lot higher than 5 Amps.

If you don't use regen braking and have it turned down completely then it should be OK to use, but if you regularly use regen at speed I would not recommend using that battery.

Alan

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
The only bit that would really concern me is the charging current being limited to less than 5 Amps, as the regen current produced by the MPIII during high speed braking will be a lot higher than 5 Amps.

If you don't use regen braking and have it turned down completely then it should be OK to use, but if you regularly use regen at speed I would not recommend using that battery.

Alan

In order to disable the regen braking, do I need to program the internal controller via USB cable ? thanks

Offline Cgar

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:20:06 PM »
nvm I will look into searching this forum for that answer. thank you for your help

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Regen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:09:30 AM »
In order to disable the regen braking, do I need to program the internal controller via USB cable ?

Yes, you need the USB cable to allow the regen level to be set to 0%.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:38:58 PM »
nvm I will look into searching this forum for that answer. thank you for your help

It never hurts to ask a question if a search does not provide any answers. Even if the answers are not great asking may still help. Whenever I send someone to the forum to look for answers I always encourage them to post their question. I find the forum search engine is not that good. Quite often I can't even find my own posts.

Gary

Offline ARTcycle

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »
Boost adjustment.
Had similar problems, thought it was me. The sensor will deliver a boost according to how you are pedalling. It cuts in and out. Learn to use the cruise control if you have one. More practise than intuition.

Cutting out after rain.
Check your fuse in the battery. I rooted around for days trying to figure out what was wrong before finding that fuse. You need the correct amperage which is not easy to find.