Author Topic: Boat throttle  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Jpse

• Confirmed
Boat throttle
« on: August 25, 2020, 06:14:01 PM »
Hi I have finished and tested 48volt blc air motor 10kv on a 36 foot sail boat, around 5 tones. So far iam happy with the results but there is room for improvement. I have 230 Amph Carbon Agm batteries and can average 4knots under 30 amps in a calm sea. We did a 10 nautical mile run a week or so and had over 50% batteries left. 4:1 refuction with a 16/8 folding prop. So thats the basic set up. My question is about the speed controler and throttle.
I am using the thumb control for testing and would now like to make it a little more permanent with a linear control. I have thought about butchering the thumb and just using the Hal sensor on a normal boat stick. But I have had no luck geting the thumb control to work in linear mode. I have removed the spring and made a few mods to get a neutral position. But cant seem to get it to work? Any one got any ideas as to how to either get it to work or where to purchase one of the shelf that does not cost qa much as my entire set up? :)

Offline Sonny

• Confirmed
Re: Boat throttle
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
They sell a more professional throttle for $400. Seems a bit pricy, but compared to the initial investment, how do you want your boat to look?
I have a few questions for you. Why did you keep your folding propeller? I intend to regenerate with mine and will be going with a fixed prop. Looking at 11 - 15 pitch. Do you think a 4/1 reduction is the way? I think that a maximum 2000 shaft rpm is the base line therefore a 3/1 might offer more speed. Did you keep your original prop shaft or replace it?
Thanks in advance.

Offline BjornO

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:58:12 PM »
I designed a throttle around a standard potentiometer. However, this pot did not last long in the humid environment. Now I have exchanged the pot woth a 9 position switch and a resistor ladder. (The boat is up during the winter and I have not tested the switch version yet.)

Offline Staffan Rolfsson

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 10:50:25 PM »
Hi, I made a throttle with a rotary encoder (similar to what you find on a modern car radio?) and an Arduino microcontroller.
If you rotate the knob clockwise, the motor will start going forward (indicated with a green led light), counter-clockwise and the motor goes in reverse (indicated with a red led light).
Continue turning in the same direction will increase speed, turning opposite direction decreases speed. If you push the knob the motor stops.

No manual required ?

https://e-sail.weebly.com/blog/some-real-life-tests

/Staffan

Offline Jpse

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:38:10 AM »
They sell a more professional throttle for $400. Seems a bit pricy, but compared to the initial investment, how do you want your boat to look?
I have a few questions for you. Why did you keep your folding propeller? I intend to regenerate with mine and will be going with a fixed prop. Looking at 11 - 15 pitch. Do you think a 4/1 reduction is the way? I think that a maximum 2000 shaft rpm is the base line therefore a 3/1 might offer more speed. Did you keep your original prop shaft or replace it?
Thanks in advance.

4/1 reduction is the way?:
 Happy but will  try 2:1 and limit the the RPM via the software this season and put on a smaller prop. The 4:1 was great for chugging around at 4-5 knots but not so much prop wash for maneuvering ect.

Prop shaft:
I had a sail drive, which I took out and put in a 25mm straight shaft.

Folding Prop:
Yes regen is the way to go I will eventually get a nice self feathering prop that locks for regen but there expensive and wanted to hands on test some setups before investing. Some of the experts said my set up would not work but  it actually performs better than some of the most expensive ready to install packages out there. So yes on papper it looks wrong but these motors work better under loads  and have huge torque so my gut feeling was go with a larger prop. My initial intention was the 2:1 set up but got put off by the feed back from the profs :)  Also I have read that if you spin upp a folding prop and apply the break it will work, But have never tried it and am skeptical.

Offline Jpse

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:40:44 AM »
Hi, I made a throttle with a rotary encoder (similar to what you find on a modern car radio?) and an Arduino microcontroller.
If you rotate the knob clockwise, the motor will start going forward (indicated with a green led light), counter-clockwise and the motor goes in reverse (indicated with a red led light).
Continue turning in the same direction will increase speed, turning opposite direction decreases speed. If you push the knob the motor stops.

No manual required ?

https://e-sail.weebly.com/blog/some-real-life-tests

/Staffan

Sounds interesting:) I was thinking of something similar but with all the other projects going on was hoping to find something ready made. I would love to hear more about it if you have the time and energy :)

Offline Jpse

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »
I designed a throttle around a standard potentiometer. However, this pot did not last long in the humid environment. Now I have exchanged the pot woth a 9 position switch and a resistor ladder. (The boat is up during the winter and I have not tested the switch version yet.)

Yup the marine environment is tough. If I build something I would like to use hall sensors and keep it all sealed up and compact.

Offline Hans

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 08:15:54 PM »
Hi,

does anyone has experience with using the et126 or et134 controller with the 10kW golden motor and the motorcontroller? I am especially interessted in the wiring.

I am currently transforming my sailboat into electric and am therefore looking for a bidirectional controller.

Thank you.
Hans