Author Topic: Stalling Protection Error - 10kw BLDC Motor with VEC500 Controller  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Syed Haris Izhar

• Confirmed
I bought this motor 3 months ago, 10kw BLDS motor with water cooled, with a VEC500 controller and ship throttle.

I am just using this motor without any load right now in test phase, the motor was working fine and suddenly it stopped working and now when I apply throttle, it doesn't move and gives 4 beeps error which is STALLING PROTECTION error.

I have tried setting the default settings, snapshot of my setting software is attached and also the file export FOC file.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Stalling Protection Error - 10kw BLDC Motor with VEC500 Controller
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
Hi Syed andto the forum.

I have some questions for you:

1) Did you make a note of the original controller parameters before resetting them to the default settings?

2) Did the motor stop working as a result of altering the programmable parameters or connecting additional items such as sensors, contactors or switches etc., or did it suddenly stop while it was actually running?

3) Does the motor still turn easily by hand, or is it more difficult to turn than it used to be?

4) Is there anything currently connected to the motor shaft that could inadvertently be placing a load upon the motor?
What happens if you first spin the motor slightly by hand to get it turning before applying the throttle?

5) What voltage battery are you using, and what is the actual voltage reading with the controller powered up?

6) What is the maximum/continuous current rating of the battery (or its BMS).

7) Does your "ship throttle" go from zero rpm to maximum rpm, or does it control forward rpm or reverse rpm in each direction from a central Neutral position?

8] Have you tried swapping over to the other spare Hall Sensor lead connector to see if it makes any difference?

Hopefully, the answers to these questions should help us to understand what has happened, and more importantly, how to rectify the problem.

Alan

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:01:03 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Syed Haris Izhar

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »
EDIT: Additional attachments from merged duplicated post.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:00:35 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Syed Haris Izhar

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thank you so much. We really appreciate your questions and need your help. Actually we want to extract some data to be displayed on smart display unit/app (RPM, Temperature, Current Etc..). When we didn't find any solution on forum, we started our own research on Uart, CAN or even bluetooth connectivity... Finally we found some solutions in coordination with golden motors and were testing different commands and every thing was fine. Later on the day when we switched on the system our controller was beeping. We moved the throttle and found out that our throttle settings have been changed (its working zero to max). So we fixed the throttle and during the fixing process we reset the controller. Everything was back to normal. When we again started the system it started beeping again now it beeps 4 times... So we found out that its something related to motor (Stalling Protection Error) ... We don't know how to solve this issue... We thought its due to some serious issues with controller settings...

1) Did you make a note of the original controller parameters before resetting them to the default settings?
No, As it was changed during parameter fetching from controller... Thats what we thought...

2) Did the motor stop working as a result of altering the programmable parameters or connecting additional items such as sensors, contactors or switches etc., or did it suddenly stop while it was actually running?
We think its due to alteration of programmable parameters... No only UART cable was connected to our laptop...

3) Does the motor still turn easily by hand, or is it more difficult to turn than it used to be?
We can turn it easily with our hands...

4) Is there anything currently connected to the motor shaft that could inadvertently be placing a load upon the motor?
What happens if you first spin the motor slightly by hand to get it turning before applying the throttle?
No, Nothing is attached and its without any load... We tried to spin but it doesn't work.. but yes during the spinning movements there is no beep, I guess controller received the signals that motor is running fine... but when we stopped spinning, after 2 seconds beeps started...

5) What voltage battery are you using, and what is the actual voltage reading with the controller powered up?
we are using 72V battery and it was giving 74V when we checked it last time... Infact when we were trying to fix it...

6) What is the maximum/continuous current rating of the battery (or its BMS).
It was 73V-74V previously...

7) Does your "ship throttle" go from zero rpm to maximum rpm, or does it control forward rpm or reverse rpm in each direction from a central Neutral position?
Its Forward-Neutral-Reverse throttle but today when it malfunctioned due to controller setting it was going Zero to Max RPM... We actually tried to fix that and later on everything is messed-up

8] Have you tried swapping over to the other spare Hall Sensor lead connector to see if it makes any difference?
Yes we tried but it didn't make any difference....

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:40:23 PM »
Its Forward-Neutral-Reverse throttle but today when it malfunctioned due to controller setting it was going Zero to Max RPM... We actually tried to fix that and later on everything is messed-up

Here are some suggestions to try:

• Set the Low voltage protection exit value (V) to 64V
  • Set the Clear undervoltage state while throttle is off to 1:Enable
  • Try increasing the Starting phase current (A) to 20A, 30A or even 50A etc. and see if it helps
  • Set the Maximum phase current duration (s) to 10
  • Lower the Rated phase current(A) to 450
  • Set the Motor temperature protection exit value to 110
  • Set the Throttle mode selection setting to 0:Hyperbola for the centre Neutral style throttle
  • Set the Forword Speed ratio (%) to 100 (unless you intentionally want to restrict your maximum forward speed/rpm)

If none of the above makes any noticeable difference, try setting the throttle voltage range protection enable setting to 0:Disable.

You might also want to try changing the Throttle Type Setting or Speed throttle type from 0:Hall effect to 1: Potentiometer (or vice versa) as this might affect the Throttle mode selection function.  ::)

Hopefully, one (or more) of the above suggestions will get the motor running again.

Alan

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:47:19 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:58:50 PM »
After further studying of the PI-800 program settings and it looks like the stall protection time (s) setting goes up to 10 seconds, so it might also be worth increasing this setting to see if it helps.

Alan

Offline Zaidpirwani

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
  • Set the Motor temperature protection exit value to 110
Alan
[/list]

Hello, I am the engineer working with Haris, We tried all the settings individually and combined making sure that what we were doing would be sensible changes.

The above-mentioned value Motor Temperature Protection Exit Value, we cannot change it above 20.

The software is giving error.

Offline Zaidpirwani

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
Also, the Motor overtemperature protection enable is also set to DISABLE and doesn't help if it is enabled or disable.

Offline Zaidpirwani

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »
MORE UPDATE, measurements of voltage and current

The voltage at the batteries is at 74.8V

I removed the motor connectors from the controller and measured the voltage on the terminals when I applied throttle, the voltage showed around 37V

I then connected the motor terminals back and have 2 DC Clamp meters connected, METER 1 to the main power input of the controller and METER 2 to one of the motor phase wires.

On applying throttle, the current shows as follows
Throttle NEUTRAL: Meter 1: 0.3A, Meter 2 0.2A
Throttle FORWARD FULL: Meter 1: 0.2A, Meter 2 0.2A
same for reverse as forward.

When I remove the hall sensor port from the motor, the controller gives the HALL INPUT ABNORMAL Error.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:39:08 PM »
Hi Zaidpirwani,

I don't understand why the Motor temperature protection exit value does not accept values above 20, I would have expected the value to be slightly lower than the 150 Maximum motor protection temperature, but not 130 degrees lower.

Perhaps this particular parameter has been incorrectly described in the program software and the value relates to a time value in seconds or minutes instead of temperature in degrees.  :-\
But if the Motor overtemperature protection enable is disabled, then the setting should not affect the motor's operation.

Do you just get the "4 beeps stall protection error" while the throttle is being operated, and no errors when the throttle is released again?

I have sent an email to Golden Motor in China to try and find out why the motor still refuses to run, and I will update this thread when I receive a reply.

Alan

Offline Zaidpirwani

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 07:53:34 PM »
Do you just get the "4 beeps stall protection error" while the throttle is being operated, and no errors when the throttle is released again?

I have sent an email to Golden Motor in China to try and find out why the motor still refuses to run, and I will update this thread when I receive a reply.

Alan

Thanks for the reply, yes the temperature parameter behavior is strange.

Also, when I move throttle from NEUTRAL to any other position and keep changing the throttle position there are no beeps but the motor also does NOT work, when and if I stop changing throttle value and set it to some point other than NEUTRAL, then after 3 seconds it starts giving the the 4 beep STALL PROTECTION error.

SUMMARY
Throttle moving, no error, no motor movement

Throttle stopped at non neutral position, beep and error after 2 seconds.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »

Just to update this thread, I received a reply from GM China and I understand that they have been in direct contact regarding this problem and they seem to think that the firmware data may have somehow been partially flushed.

I'm guessing that by now they will have already provided a solution directly for reloading the controller firmware with the correct parameters for the VEC-500 controller.

I am hopeful that the problem will have been solved successfully (if the solution has already been received) or will be solved as soon as the solution is received.

I look forward to receiving an update on the success of the solution.

Alan