Author Topic: Power Cutting under Load  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Power Cutting under Load
« on: December 16, 2018, 08:43:13 PM »
So stupid me, not paying attention and just being overall dumb. I connected the the throttle to the wrong plug, and I should of known to stop when I had to use force to plug them in. As a result one of the pins is pushed back in. The motor and everything still works, until it's under load. Soon as I sit on the bike, I go a several feet forward and the power cuts. I'm going to assume it's due to the pin being pushed back. I have the bike on it's back right now with cruise control turned on and it's fine. I was able to use it before just fine as well.

It's either the throttle, or the pin that was pushed in. It's causing a short maybe ? I've ordered a new wire harness, and I hope that corrects the problem.

Edit: Swapped out a different Throttle and does the same thing. It must be the pin. It's the only thing that's changed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:58:45 PM by Adamsavage79 »

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Power Cutting under Load
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »
I used my spare throttle as a test, and my now spare wire harness to connect both without the plugs, and simply wire to wire. Took it outside again, and yet again. Soon as I apply throttle the battery's BMS trips and and cuts the power. Before unplugging the battery, it reads 02.3v. After unplugging the battery, it will read 53.0v to 53.3v, constantly fluctuating.

Would this be a battery fault at this point ?

EDIT: I just want to add, that Gary has been VERY patience with me and understanding, and we are working closely to figure out this problem and get it resolved, so I can get up and running again. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, that I might be making a bad name for him. This isn't my intention. He is a very busy man, so I figured I could get some feedback here as well.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:41:32 PM by Adamsavage79 »

Offline Natsukawa

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
Hi Adamsavage79

Sorry I don't get the whole picture.... you got your throttle plugged in in the wrong plug, but how, my controller has only one of this 3 plug connectors, yours has more?
Some pin get pushed in, in your throttle cable or in the other one? If this connector was originally free (not connected to anything) and only one pin get pushed in and this pin is not contacting something else, then this is not the source of your error.

After you plug your battery pack and controller, the voltage gets pulled down from 53V to 2.3V ?
That is a heavy sort circuit, then something is on fire (ok ok bad joke) I think you meant 52.3V some voltage drop can occur when your controller is plugged in, but 1V is to much...
I think you have some bad or out of balance cell(s) in your battery pack and the BMS is triggering the under voltage protection.

With no load the wheel is spinning that's ok the half dead or empty cell can deliver some current without tripping the under voltage protection. Try to apply some force to the wheel to slow it down, then your current will go up, bad cell voltage down and BMS under voltage gets triggered.

I would try to charge the cells separately to see if there are some cells under charged.
Take my comments with a grain of salt, I'm no way an expert :)

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
I will try to clear it up more. The Throttle and 2 button switch are both 5 pin female plugs. The Wire harness, has 4 plugs. #1, #4 are 3 pin male. Plug #3 is 4 pin male. Plug #4 is 5 pin male, which is supposed to go to the throttle. I plugged the 5 pin male into the 4 pin female somehow, and pushed one of the pins back in the 5 pin plug.

As for the voltage. The 2.3V reading is after the BMS has tripped. When I unplug the battery from the kit, and then take a reading. I get 53V.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 08:48:40 PM »
The Throttle and 2 button switch are both 5 pin female plugs.

I would just like to clarify that they are not "both 5 pin female plugs", the throttle is connected with a 5 pin male and 5 pin female connector while the cruise/horn button unit is connected with a 4 pin male and 4 pin female connector:

If they were both 5 pin female plugs either would plug easily into the throttle connector on the control harness without bending any pins, but as you have already discovered, the extra pin on the 5 pin male throttle connector prevents the 4 pin cruise/horn female plug from being pushed in (unless you use excessive force to bend the additional pin).

Alan

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »
 I must have created a new hole then. As they both have 5 holes.

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »
I'm back up and running. Gary was able to get me running again. I will let him give you the details, if he wants to. Took the bike out for little over 5km with hills and lots of stop and go, and the bike handled it just fine. It's nice to have e-bike power again.

Offline Xray

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 07:59:23 AM »
If you're going to ask questions on the forum you ought to at least tell what the issue was.