Author Topic: Charging batteries in parallel with Solar Panels?  (Read 5377 times)

Offline AgPro

• Confirmed
Charging batteries in parallel with Solar Panels?
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
Hello All!

I am a new user, and have a question regarding using my Golden Motor batteries in Parallel and charging them with Solar Panels.

My Equipment:

2 x 24V 20Ah LiFePo GM Batteries
2 Servo motors
1 Multi Axis Controller
1 Charge Controller yet to be decided
2 120W 12V (18v @ 6.33Amp max) Flexible Solar Panels

My Situation:

I am starting to build mobile robots for use in agriculture and though I have a background in Farming and Mechanical Engineering, I have no clue on Battery systems and electrical engineering solutions. We have a working robot now- but I want to ADD the solar panels to it so that we can increase run times between manual charges/ battery swaps (hopefully eliminate manual charging altogether). They work outside in the sunshine of central CA all day.

Right now, each battery is independent- each serving one servo. The problem is the only durable, lightweight, flexible panels I can source are all 12V. I need to run them in Series to up the voltage but only have space in the bot's canopy for 2! So- Two panels need to charge both batteries, so I'm thinking, series the panels and parallel the batteries right? Will that work? Does anybody have experience with this and can recommend a charge controller that would be best?

Thank you in advance for any help-

Erik

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Charging batteries in parallel with Solar Panels?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »
Hi Erik andto the forum.

I would connect both solar panels in parallel and then connect them to a suitable DC:DC step-up converter to boost the voltage to the required charging voltage (28.8~29.2V @ 3.60~3.65V per cell). The output can be adjusted with the aid of a small screwdriver to adjust the preset potentiometer, and a voltmeter to measure the open circuit voltage output from the DC:DC converter on the battery side of the diodes.
It is very important the maximum output voltage is set correctly (ideally the same voltage as your charger's regulated output) or it might be possible to overcharge the batteries or overload the battery's BMS if the output voltage is too high.

The output would be split to each of the batteries wired in parallel using a common ground connection (battery negative) but with two separate positive feeds, each wire fitted with a 10 Amp diode to prevent a direct connection between the two batteries. The BMS should prevent high current from flowing between the batteries if one battery was at a much higher voltage than the other when initially connected, but the diodes will definitely prevent this from happening even if the BMS doesn't.

The diodes would also prevent the solar panels from draining current when they are in the shade. It might be beneficial to fit a 10 A diode on each of the solar panel's positive output wires so that if one panel is in the shade, it won't affect the output of the other.

If the battery voltages are not the same, the lowest of the two batteries would absorb the majority of the charge current until its voltage reached the same voltage as the other battery. At this point, the charge would be split evenly between the two batteries until they become fully charged, and the Battery's BMS should prevent the possibility of the battery (or a single weak cell) being overcharged.

At 120W per panel (and the converter running at 85% efficiency) the maximum charge current would be somewhere between 8.5A @24V and 7A @ 29.2V, which a single 20Ah battery should be able to accept on its own without any problem.

I have not actually tested a setup like this, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work as expected, and it's not as if you are having to spend a huge sum of money in order to find out for sure.

I'm not sure how hot hot the heatsink will get on the converter with continual use, so it might be advisable to add an electric cooling fan powered from the solar panels 12V output and switched via a thermostatically controlled switch.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:04:28 PM by Bikemad »

Offline AgPro

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
THANK YOU!!!

This looks like a very simple yet elegant solution!

I've already ordered the parts and will be sure to return and update you on my progress!

8)

Offline AgPro

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
Hi Alan - One question

Can you help me source a connector that matches my charger's connector? It looks like a RCA plug, but slightly different.

I just want to make sure I keep everything clean and consistent!

Thank you again -

Erik

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »
It seems to be a fully enclosed version of the RCA phono plug:

I don't know where you would be able to obtain them from, but a standard phono plug fits my battery's charging socket perfectly:

I would use gold plated phono plugs to ensure a good contact:

You can either use insulation tape wrapped around the body of the plug, or preferably use a piece of suitable sized heat shrink tubing to fully enclose and insulate the metal body of the plug and the outside of the negative connector (making it similar to the original plug) to prevent the possibility of it accidentally touching against the positive pin of the other charging plug when they are both unplugged and the sun is out.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:10:08 PM by Bikemad »