Author Topic: Goldenmotor 20" Front wheel and 26" rear wheel conversion kit  (Read 22488 times)

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
At the Goldenmotor web site it shows the rear wheel conversion kit and 20" front wheel conversion kits available but when I attempt to order all that comes up on the order form is the 26" front wheel conversion kit. Anyone ordered anything other than the 26" front wheel kit and how did you do it?

Offline NYC2LA

Re: Goldenmotor 20" Front wheel and 26" rear wheel conversion kit
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:08:42 AM »
not only that, but the rear, as advertised, doesn't come up either.  and forget about sending an email to the company.  I have sent five.  I have NOT received a single reply.  UGH!

has anyone had trouble with this company?

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:45:52 PM »
A gentlemen going by the nickname "watermelon" on instructables.com (http://www.instructables.com/id/EI5NYF6F0R12WA0/) has a how-to on this conversion kit, and an e-mail link to someone who can order stuff through GoldenMotor for you (with some sort of discount to boot!).  The link is just above the first picture.  Watermelon has been pretty active about answering comments on his instructable, so you can post there and see what he says.

It seems to me GoldenMotors prefers to deal with distributors rather than directly with customers.  sales@goldenmotor.com also ignored my e-mail for additional info.  I guess by going to distributors they can just deal with making and shipping stuff and leave all the customer interface and english language / American cultural norms to someone who is fluent in both.

Disclaimer:  I don't know watermelon, I don't know the guy he is directing you to, and I don't know this GoldenMotor company.  For all I know they could ALL be scam artists.  I'm still deciding whether to build an e-bike myself so this is just information I have come across in my research.  Hope it is helpful.

Please post back about your experiences if you go ahead and buy one of these and build your own e-bike.

-Mike

Offline NYC2LA

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »
will do.  thanx

Offline Dragon Slayer

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »
Sorry people for not responding sooner... I am still only the unofficial voluntary USA tech rep for Golden. As a Golden owner myself, I merely want the rest of you to enjoy the same great benefits and experiences I have enjoyed by owning a Golden. I have not monitored this site for a few days since there were only nine posts because I have been working on a new dealer order page to make things go a bit smoother. (Yes, I do web pages too!) While I am busy, doing this Philip Yao is working hard on setting up a new 7,000 square foot customer service center that will include an area for research and development. The more time Philip spends on his project the sooner all of us will have less hassle getting all of the customer service we need. Just remember a few months ago, there was not even a printed assembly manual and now there is one online! Things are happening but for a new company in the middle of a Communist nation it takes a little time.

As for swindles... For a while, Golden Motor got a bad rap because their mission was misunderstood. Goldens are not designed with the same purpose as Crystalytes to explore the technology. Both are based on BLDC technology but with significant differences in price. The price difference and discounts make it sound like Goldens are pieces of junk and are being sold off to get rid of all the shoddy stock but if that were true, I would not be wasting my time here responding. In fact I found the opposite to be true; that while experimental refinements might be missing quality is not. Okay, so Golden had a few failed sensors problems with the original kits – but so what, the sensors only cost $1! Okay they take a little time and effort to repalce but hey you would not be reading this unless you were interested in that kind of fun!

The reason for the lower price is that Goldens are not designed and built for the purpose of perfecting the technology but rather as units of transportation for dependable non-exotic transportaion to and from work each and every day. For instance, Goldens do not offer a motor with skewed stator teeth, which may reduce startup torque-ripple at low speed but at running sppedd you simply can not tell the difference. Absolutely smooth starts in my book aren't exactly an absolute necessary worth an extra $400. Not only is there a price advantage for the consumer when such refinements are ignored but an affordable opportunity for users who like to tinker to have a kit which they can feel comfortable with doing their own refinements and mods.

The discounts you see some dealers offering come out of their own pockets since the factory has a rock bottom wholesale price mitigated only slightly by volume. The idea of a dealer selling at a discount is that eventually the higher volume will decrease his cost sufficiently for it to be merited from the volume based wholesale prices finally kicking in. The other reason is that currently it is the only way for dealers to compete with factory based retail sales aside from the issue of dealing with cultural differences.

Golden is just beginning to learn how vast and diverse the world outside of China really is and that Customers come in all shapes, colors and sizes, which are well beyond the ability of any single factory representative to deal with and handle well. Golden is learning that bridging the gap between its own cultural background and the rest of the world takes many interface layers and will require a great number dealers and distributors as well.

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 04:49:06 PM »
I did get a response from Philip Yao of Goldenmotor and found out (1) that you can go to PayPal and pay for what you want, too the account of sales@goldenmotor.com(2) that kits shipped from china cost a lot more in shipping than what they keep in stock in the USA when ordering from the USA(3) that the rear wheel kits should be in stock in the USA location by mid-June. I did try to place an order through my PayPal account to sales@goldenmotor.com but it failed to complete. My quess is that the transaction timed out by the time I typed in my complete order. I am attempting to purchase a 20" rear wheel kit and a 26" rear wheel Kit and two of each of the accessories shown at their DYI shopping page. I ended up emailing Philip Yao my order and asked for a dollar total to pay PayPal. I will keep everyone posted about my shopping experience and products recieved. I also contacted the USA distributor at gm@perfecteam.net a Raul did get back to me after a few days but there is a price difference between the two but I know he has to make a living too. If you want the 26" front wheel kit and/or battery kit, the purchase is quick and easy from Goldenmotor the web site. For other products there is a email address at the site for Goldenmotor sales and its' USA distributor but both took a fews days to get a response. This is my experience so far. Good Luck, Gary Lockhart

Offline NYC2LA

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 04:21:20 PM »
THANX!
Yes, please keep us posted.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 12:57:35 AM »
I have 2- 20" front wheel kits in stock in Tampa, FL. if anyone is interested. etadpole@verizon.net

Philip Yao is currently opening a new customer service center which should make all these order problems of other products soon disappear.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 01:16:35 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 08:52:01 PM »
Last night I was able to get my PayPal order to got through for two rear wheel "all in one" conversion kits and two of each of the accessories shown at the GoldenMotor web site. I know it will be a few more weeks before the rear wheel kits are in stock in the USA but I did want to get my order in now. So far I have not heard from GoldenMotor but I did get a payment confirmation from PayPal. Thanks GaryL.

Offline Brandnew

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 02:33:19 AM »
I just checked my emails and found I had a email from GoldenMotor about my order. It was confirmed that the rear wheel kits will be in stock in the USA in two weeks but I was also told that the lead-acid battery packs are no longer being sold by them. Thanks Gary