Author Topic: hi  (Read 7460 times)

Offline ManOnTheMoon

hi
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »
Dear all,

I am new to this forum and happened to stumble on it while looking for a good bike electric conversion kit. Since I am a noob at these things, I took some time to have read more about GM and am very happy with the specs and quality they provide..

My requirements are that I would like to have a bike that I can switch on the motor whenever I feel like..So, in my case, I do not want the pedelec function (since it involves pedalling to start the motor). I intend to use the bike to go to work, which takes me normally about 15 min by car. Also, the areas are quite hilly(not so steep but it's going to be tiring as I am not in my best physical form).

I weigh about 90 kg and I hope that I can ride an average of 35-40 km/hr with the kit. It doesnt have to be that speed uphill :)

The bad thing is that I am located in Asia and they have some rules against these kind of bikes. The ones that are legal are damn ugly and go only up to about 25km/hr which is ridiculous. Am sure I can cycle at that speed on flat ground.

1) So, I am going to get myself a mountain bike and fit this GM kit in it..Budget is an issue and so, I have to minimize my spendings while meeting my requirements..

2) I intended to get an electric kit, without the wheel to minimize any suspicions from the customs..That is, get only the controllers,motors,and accessories that are needed.. Do you think it's a good idea to do that and set up the wheel myself based on the motor?

3) being a noob at bicycle stuff(but am sure I can learn), do you think it's a good idea for me to get a front motor instead rather than the rear one?

4) also based on my requirements and budget limitations, do you recommend a 48V 1000W motor? or 36V 750W is sufficient?

all advice and comments are most welcome and I would be very happy to learn the stuff

thanks for reading

cheers

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
If budget is an issue GM delivers the best product for it's price,
35-40 km/h with 90kg rider should be attainable with a 48v kit but also an 36v 16ah kit.
GM kits never appeared to not go trough costums, as they could be labeled as off road kits wich most
likely will be legal in Asia. (don't know for sure)

a front motor needs torque arms but make it easier to change tires etc. but with an rear one you don't wanne get a flat tyre, cuz it will take you a long time.
if you consider a MagicPie you should get an easy hour and a half to fit it to your bike, but only when you order the entire kit, I mean the one with a rim ans spokes.

but if you don't want to cycle you can use the cruise control, even if you pedal allong it will feel incredibly easy.

if the motor isn't used it could be a load especially with the 48v or the 36v 16ah, wich are quite heavy if you're not using the motor.
so if you aren't going to use it all the time a mini-motor with a freewheel should be appropriate. but as you life in a hilly place I won't suggest the mini-motor,
also the 1000w 48v or 750 36v is just an indication on what you're going to use not the actual power that will be delivered.
most likely on hills you will use about 500w max, wich is enough to get you over that long hill, but a long hill can also give heat problems so a motor designed for more heat like the 1000w 48v will be better,
15 min in a car, I would say get a 1000w 48v hbs with the 36v 16ah for better range but lower top speed, but the top speed should still be around 35-37 km/h. most likely 30km/h on the hills, if not to long.

a front 26 inch should be appropriate on a mountain bike aswell as the rear rack 002.

Here's is an indication of the price,

26" Front Wheel 48V/1000W USB Cable(External) Thumb Throttle No Pedelec 36V16AH + Charger + RAK-002
Item Number 26"FDEFS             $739.00

739,00 usd WITHOUT SHIPPING,

if you ask nicely they will be able to do slow shipping wich will take a month more or so but will cost you 100usd less on shipping,
i don't know if this is still possible.
also an usb external cable to set the controller to your specifications.

hope this helps but eventually you got to make the decisions,

we can only guide you

cheers,

Hardcore

Offline ManOnTheMoon

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
thks a lot for your reply..

i am thinking of going with the front wheel motor as it would then distribute the load of the bike more evenly, considering the battery at the back..

I am slightly confused with the package offer. whats the difference between ordering magicpie(internal controller) and magicpie(external controller), do I still need a pc to configure the settings?

yeah thats a gd pt..i forgot about that..a bigger motor would mean more weight and more drag on the bike..

however, am concerned about the battery? is the casing waterproof? it tends to rain a lot around my region and I hope the electronics can sustain these..Also, does the battery really hold the charge and sustain a high number of cycles as specified from the manufacturer?

thks a lot

cheers

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »
i'll search that for you in a sec, im busy right now

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:30:55 PM »
they say it should get more then 800 cycles at normal usage, so you should easily get 500 and still be able to get max range, although they say it should get you 50km, you won't be getting that but when I started using it I could do about 30-35 km but unfortunately it was bad wired and started to lose cell capasity wich leaded to failure.
I've used the 48v 12ah for 1 year on good range and good top speed, and also in some heavy rain but no water got into the casing, you should check it for leaks before usage and seal leaks if you spot them. Check the edges and you can always but a bag around it wich will definetely give you water proof/ you won't be able to put it in a watertank if that's what you mean by heavy heavy rain.
the front wheel is a good option for your purpose,
uhm the Magic Pie has an internet controller wich means it's inside the hub, so plug and play is installed, with the external controller you will get the same pie without the controller inside wich will need more wiring to be done but makes changing the controller or replacing it easier.
If you can charge it every day it would be great and you need good conditions like the temperatur to obtain good cycle life and a high number of it, also try to use the interval charge that lesley, 317537, described in another post. this will also help, but it will change the time to charge the battery but you will get better results in the end. Charging it in about 12 hours is better then in 6 as that is the minimum charge time.

ooh and you need a pc to configre the setting but I see you already got one, otherwise you wouldn't be posting on the internet :D
or am I wrong?

cheers

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:29:22 AM »
Hello Mr.Moon  :)

i have a Magic Pie kit with an internal controller.

If I was going to buy a kit again I would go for the 1000w HBS motor (not the Magic Pie). The Magic Pie performance figures are exagerated and if the internal controller fails it would be much more difficult to change it.  Also, the Magic Pie motor is heavier and noisier than the other motors.

I have my pie on the rear wheel along with the 48v 12ah battery pack on the rear rack. This makes the bike very back heavy and it is an effort and really awkward to push the bike around.  As you have said yourself a front wheel motor would definately help to balance the bike better.

If your budget is really tight then I can see how golden motors products look very tempting. However, the quality control of the products is very bad, the 1 year warranty is not worth anything as communication with GM is non existent.  
If I were going to do it all again I would probably save more money and buy a 9 continent motor kit..... http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_nc.php  and get a ping battery for it... http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/StoreFront  .  but of course you will have pay more money for this better performance, better build quality and better reliabilty.

Andrew :).  just my opinion
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:34:11 AM by Andrew »

Offline ManOnTheMoon

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »
they say it should get more then 800 cycles at normal usage, so you should easily get 500 and still be able to get max range, although they say it should get you 50km, you won't be getting that but when I started using it I could do about 30-35 km but unfortunately it was bad wired and started to lose cell capasity wich leaded to failure.
I've used the 48v 12ah for 1 year on good range and good top speed, and also in some heavy rain but no water got into the casing, you should check it for leaks before usage and seal leaks if you spot them. Check the edges and you can always but a bag around it wich will definetely give you water proof/ you won't be able to put it in a watertank if that's what you mean by heavy heavy rain.
the front wheel is a good option for your purpose,
uhm the Magic Pie has an internet controller wich means it's inside the hub, so plug and play is installed, with the external controller you will get the same pie without the controller inside wich will need more wiring to be done but makes changing the controller or replacing it easier.
If you can charge it every day it would be great and you need good conditions like the temperatur to obtain good cycle life and a high number of it, also try to use the interval charge that lesley, 317537, described in another post. this will also help, but it will change the time to charge the battery but you will get better results in the end. Charging it in about 12 hours is better then in 6 as that is the minimum charge time.

ooh and you need a pc to configre the setting but I see you already got one, otherwise you wouldn't be posting on the internet :D
or am I wrong?

cheers

hi hardcore,

i am sorry for the late reply..Thanks a lot for your advice..

yeah it was my guess too that it's probably better to get the motor with an external controller in some way..i can change it very easily if faulty..

charging it everyday would not be a problem..the reason I was asking if the rest of the electronics can sustain water was because I intend to leave the bike down at my apartment floor ..my apartment is a few storeys high only and so, we don't have a lift..

i figure it's better for me to tie the bike downstairs..

If I get the kit, I may actually get it without the batt and charger and get my own from somewhere else.. I havent finalized anything yet. I am just doing some research and getting some opinions from you all..

thanks a  lot

have a nice weekend

cheers

Offline ManOnTheMoon

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »

If I was going to buy a kit again I would go for the 1000w HBS motor (not the Magic Pie). The Magic Pie performance figures are exagerated and if the internal controller fails it would be much more difficult to change it.  Also, the Magic Pie motor is heavier and noisier than the other motors.

I have my pie on the rear wheel along with the 48v 12ah battery pack on the rear rack. This makes the bike very back heavy and it is an effort and really awkward to push the bike around.  As you have said yourself a front wheel motor would definately help to balance the bike better.

If your budget is really tight then I can see how golden motors products look very tempting. However, the quality control of the products is very bad, the 1 year warranty is not worth anything as communication with GM is non existent.  
If I were going to do it all again I would probably save more money and buy a 9 continent motor kit..... http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_nc.php  and get a ping battery for it... http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/StoreFront  .  but of course you will have pay more money for this better performance, better build quality and better reliabilty.

hi Andrew,

i appreciate yr opinion..thanks a lot..

honestly, l am tempted by the kit because of the price and am happy about the feedback and advice from this forum..

After hardcore gave me his opinions too, I have decided that if I go for this kit, it would not be the magicpie..

I would still like to cycle my bike (i don't intend to use it as a scooter :) ) but I would use the motor assist whenever I feel tired or during hot days when I don't want to get too sweaty.. Also, something around the range of 750W or 1000W is what am looking for..

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am still researching and havent concluded anything yet. So, the more info I have, the better it is for me..

i came across that ebike kit before..got gd reviews from it too..will check it out..

thks a lot..

cheers

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
If I were going to do it all again I would probably save more money and buy a 9 continent motor kit..... http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_nc.php  

Sorry Andrew mate but me thinks you made the right choice. Those NC motors are sh!teeeeeee

Oh yeah and there is this:

"Warranty -->
The Nine Continent kit has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty when used with a 36V or 48V battery and controller with maximum current of no more than 35 amps at 36V, or 25 amps at 48V"

yuk lol

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »
Sorry Monkey, don't mean to rock the boat. But the 9C kit could be worth a look imho. But what do I know :D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
Nooo no boat rocking man, you have a better motor + the NC are actually noiser! I don't think you would like that at all. Lol more like what do I know :D

They do have good bearings in them though.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »

I understand your opinions Andrew but there are a few things to consider.

The Magic Pie and the 48v1000 both run on the same controller. So if you had an external Magic Pie the reliablity would be the same.

The reason people don't get response when they have problems is they bought from the factory and not a dealer. You don't see any posts in here from people that bought from dealers and cant get help.

I have 2 motors and two batteries and really have no issue moving my bike around. but I do have to consider is is an ebike and not a light road bike. Imagine pushing one of those 250 pound scooters around.

I have about 1000 miles on both a 48v1000w and a Magic Pie 48 volt. I would never go back to the 48v1000w as the only advantage was a higher top end which sooner or later will only get you in trouble.

Anyway thats just my thoughts and since I am a dealer most would think my opinion is bias so just ignore them. ;)

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »
Ok Gary, sorry to make such as a sweeping statement about customer care and warranty. As you say it is ONLY China as a manufacturer/factory that does not deal with customers well. All dealers as far as i'm aware alway show good practise. You more than any have shown this on more than one occasion. Sorry mate :-[

I have no real issue with the weight of the PIE kit, although a front motor would help balance the bike, - or maybe a second PIE ;)

my comment on the internal controller was only made to say that 'if' it did ever fail  then changing it would be a headache compared to changing an external.

Anyways,, I'd finally like to say for Mr. Moon, 'I am really happy with my PIE kit and with the backup i've had from this forum'.  For the price you will not get better. It's fast enough to commute and with the correct bike gearing you can still use  pedal power at full speed to help you along even faster.  My bike and Pie put a massive smile on my face every time I ride it.

Andrew :)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:19:05 PM by Andrew »

Offline ManOnTheMoon

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:34 AM »
hi all,

sorry havent been in touch for a while..As Gary mentioned earlier, it was also my decision(if I buy one of those kits) to go through a dealer rather than a china manufacturer. I have already experienced their customer service for years now and have seen numerous instances where you just wish that yr goods are working properly upon receiving the package :(  Yet, I know that NOT ALL asian manufacturers are like that..I have experienced very prompt customer service from Hong Kong, Taiwan etc..

If I were to get such an electric conversion kit, I presume that there is no need to get a "better than average" bicycle to mount the kit on? In Asia, we have some quite cheap bicycles.. In the other end, if ever the battery drains and I have to pedal the bike, it's going to be a nightmare on a cheap bicycle..It would be very heavy..So, I guess I have to look for a rather nice one..

How about those regenerative bikes like Sanyo, Panasonic? anyone have tried these?

cheers

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 11:51:53 AM »
Get a better battery instead of the more quality bike, ±D