Author Topic: New Member, New First Time Purchase, New to Electrics, GM Good Stuff?  (Read 11772 times)

Offline Recumbum

• Confirmed
  • Ban E-Bike Licensing!
Hi Guys/Gals, this has been a timely event finding these forums just as I am considering buying the gear to electrify my bicycle.

Most of the equipment I understand how it interacts and works with the system as to the jobs they do. I am curious as to the type of hub I should go to..........geared like crystalite or direct drive such as the GM. I want durability and that usually entails simplicity to get it. I'm more likely to go to a heavier DD system rather than with a system that has gears that can wear out and need to be replaced. I will be commuting to work and back each day and that will entail a 16 km trip each way with no detours for groceries etc. But I have some concerns that I don't know how they affect the system.

It looks like the motors are the same for different voltages from 24, 36, and 48. Is it just the controllers that are mated to the motor that differ with the voltages used? (and the batteries too of course)

I'm aware of the 500 watt limit on units used on the roads but would still like to use a more powerful and faster unit like the 48v 1000w. Problem is I don't know how the relationships work. For example, if I run 48v will I have more acceleration, top end speed and also greater range compared to a 36v system using the same motor considering the ampere hour rating of the batteries are equal? Or will the smaller system get greater range with lesser performance ie. acceleration and top end speed?

Personally being a long time motorcycle rider and cyclist I feel the speed restrictions placed on electrically assisted bikes to be pretty lame, especially if a persons commuting distance is more than the average 2 mile ride. I'm wanting to do the thing that is good for the environment but wanting a little more performance than what is legally allowed. How is a cop going to know how powerful the system is by looking at it? Clocking you doing more than the 30kms per hour will be a give away but if a person is not showing off while in and around town .........how is a cop to know what it is rated at or the speeds it is capable of? I'd like the 1000w 48v system for the top end speed so I can get to where I'm going quickly and then slow down and take it easy once in town. I have huge hills here that climb more than 200 meters in a single km or so. I'm thinking the larger system will be torque'ier? Well thats a lot of questions so I will stop here.  Thanks in advance.

Ian....

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: New Member, New First Time Purchase, New to Electrics, GM Good Stuff?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:37:02 PM »
48v 1000w gm motor
48v magic controller
48v 12ah battery
accesories

you won't get better for the price that gm offers it. maybe the battery :P

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »
If the cop looks closely he can see the "1000W" stamped in the side.

Offline Recumbum

• Confirmed
  • Ban E-Bike Licensing!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »
48v 1000w gm motor
48v magic controller
48v 12ah battery
accesories

MP motor or the older tried and true? Seems there are still some issues with the MP stuff to iron out yet.

TRK

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »
If the cop looks closely he can see the "1000W" stamped in the side.
Odd, mine is completely unmarked, except for a small "price-label" sticker "48V 1000W" which I took...errmmm fell off. ;)

48v 1000w gm motor
48v magic controller
48v 12ah battery
accesories

MP motor or the older tried and true? Seems there are still some issues with the MP stuff to iron out yet.
I have the "old" one, and thoroughly enjoy every minute of riding it.  So I'd definitely recommend it! 

Although I don't have experience with the MP myself, I'm sure that would be a fine choice too.  Easier installation (less wiring) and one size fits all (voltages).

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
yes the mp is indeed a good choice for simplicity but I really think the 1000w gm motor is a bit faster. also more efficient.
i you can plug in some connectors then the normal 901 prokit orso is something for him but a mp is still easyer to install.
it's I think personal, what bike are you going to use?

Offline Recumbum

• Confirmed
  • Ban E-Bike Licensing!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »
yes the mp is indeed a good choice for simplicity but I really think the 1000w gm motor is a bit faster. also more efficient.
i you can plug in some connectors then the normal 901 prokit orso is something for him but a mp is still easyer to install.
it's I think personal, what bike are you going to use?

At this time I will be using my old Teck Nova Pro mtb with chromoly frame and 26inch wheels that I am also hoping to add an Extracycle Freeradicle cargo bike extention onto it. I figure with the extra carrying ability matched with electric assist it will be a winning combo.

I'm not sure having the controller inside the wheel is a great place for it. Surely it will take more punishment that a frame mounted unit. Also, if the controller craps out...........you loose your whole wheel and have nothing to ride with unless you still have the old original which now that I think about it, a person should have the original so that is a non issue. Guess it would boil down to how much of a difference there is to ship either the controller alone or the whole wheel.

Because the parent company is in China I want the most bomb proof unit I can buy from them even if it means sacrificing a little extra power. I would think that the 901 @ 1000watts would come pretty close to the Magic Pie?

Wiring does not scare me as long as there are diagrams to follow no problem. Often times building things is half the fun of getting them!

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
reading all diagrams etc. I think the 1000w gm at 48v is stronger

Offline Recumbum

• Confirmed
  • Ban E-Bike Licensing!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
reading all diagrams etc. I think the 1000w gm at 48v is stronger

Is that the 901 you are referring to?

I thought that the Magic Pie was simply a model name given to one of Golden Motors motors?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:35:35 PM »

Even if you do find a cheaper battery it will probably be cheaper in more ways then one :)

Gary

Offline Recumbum

• Confirmed
  • Ban E-Bike Licensing!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »

Even if you do find a cheaper battery it will probably be cheaper in more ways then one :)

Gary

No worries there Gary, when I order it will be a whole system at once. I just have to try to determine which system will serve me best. Thanks

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 10:57:09 PM »

No worries there Gary, when I order it will be a whole system at once. I just have to try to determine which system will serve me best. Thanks

If your looking for a complete kit check out my 48 volt deluxe kit at

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=33&=SID#MOREINFO

Its has it all!

Gary

Offline Recumbum

• Confirmed
  • Ban E-Bike Licensing!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »

If your looking for a complete kit check out my 48 volt deluxe kit at

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=33&=SID#MOREINFO

Its has it all!

Gary

Can the price of unwanted items in the kit be deducted from the price of the kit? or is it an "All or Nothing" deal?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »

Can the price of unwanted items in the kit be deducted from the price of the kit? or is it an "All or Nothing" deal?

That is a complete kit, If your looking for a basic kit they are listed as well. If you want a basic kit with a few options checkout this page

http://www.goldenmotor.ca/Build_Your_Own_Kit.php

Please keep in mind this page is under construction and you can't order from this page yet, but you can get the idea of what a kit costs with any options you would like to add. If you decide on what you like send me an email and we can take it from there.

Gary

GarySalo@GoldenMotor.CA

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:28:09 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Recumbum

• Confirmed
  • Ban E-Bike Licensing!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 10:50:06 PM »
Thanks for this info Gary and others who have also replied. Oddly enoughI still have the same thoughts I had when I started this thread  back in 2010.

What if any benefits are there with a 901 vs a MP-2 or MP-3 with external controller? Detriments?

Knowing I can hold back the watts with the software, each could be used both on and off road legally.