Author Topic: connecting battery to begin with  (Read 10991 times)

Offline commuter

connecting battery to begin with
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:06:06 AM »
Hi, just bought one of the kits.    :) I am glad there is a forum here.  I have installed the whole kit and am ready to charge the cell.   ??? I am stumped as to how I should safely set up the provided plugs.  I am in U.S. and got the correct charger, but the plugs are unconventional.  I am sure there is some simple solution, but before I cram the open wire coming off the male three prong adapter into the female three prong without a mate, I wanted to run it by your expert minds.  Thank you for taking the time to read this, and more importantly if you can help and choose to.   ???

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: connecting battery to begin with
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:34:50 AM »
If your kit is the same as mine the plugs provided are AC connectors that are normally seen on electronic equipment that the AC cord unplugs on the electronic box itself (a tower computer case for example). A chassis mount plug is needed for wiring the batteries and connecting to the charger or controller. This chassis mount receptacle did not come with my kit. If you have an old power supply from a desk top computer you can salvage this part. The local electronic store here did not have this in stock. This configuration would require unplugging the controller to plug in the charger.

I used different connectors as has been discussed on this forum and I think there is a source given. This requires changing the plug on the controller and the battery charger. You can wire the controller and charger in parallel to a connector so you don't have to unplug them to charge the batteries. You do this to mount the charger on the bike.

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:44:16 AM »
The previous discussion on heavy duty connectors.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=36.0

The Anderson Powerpole connectors are good ones to use.

Offline commuter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:51:21 AM »
Thank you.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:58:21 AM »
 Wow problem solved in less than one hour, talk about working together, that is better than some pro customer service telephone calls I had on my computers. (Over 1 hour on hold just to tell me what I already knew, "Sir we have to send a tech to look at your computer." :D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:47:47 AM »
If this is insufficient in some way, let me know how it can be improved so I can update it. Thanks.

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:41:35 PM »
If this is insufficient in some way, let me know how it can be improved so I can update it. Thanks.

I've never been able to view that info. When opened in Safari or Firefox on OS X and Firefox in Windows XP & Ubuntu the page is miles tall and wide. All I can see is the header, footer, "Page 6", and four paragraphs. Is there more than that?

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »
Yes, there are pictures to go with each paragraph or actually a paragraph to explain each picture. I have never tried to view it with any other Internet browser than IE since it is written in Microsoft Office Publisher which creates an index.htm page with its own index folder where all of the graphics and formating is stored. Apparently other browsers are not aware of this technique and can not follow it. A workaround may be possible.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:15:00 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline commuter

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 03:35:45 PM »
In step 6 picture one, there is a black and red wire on the inside of the tool box.  where are they going?  I am exposing my absolute ignorance here, but what is in the toolbox.  I have the silver controller I believe it is called, the hub motor, and a charger box that plugs into the wall, am I missing the battery?

Offline flat6valk

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 04:01:31 PM »
The Goldenmotor kit does not come supplied with batteries, you must purchase these yourself. Most people end up with 3 12 volt SLA batteries (7ah to 12ah) wired in series to provide 36 volts. The leads from the 3 pronged male connector go to the respective positive and negative leads from your battery pack. The red wire with the fuse holder goes to positive, the black to negative. The female 3 prong connector from the charger then plugs into this, and then charges your battery.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
Yes, the toolbox contains 3- 12 volt, 12 AH SLA/AGM batteries. The red and black wires go to the connector which was mounted in the lid of the toolbox from the battery "pack" which is the 3 batteries connected in series. To keep the assembly manual from becoming unwieldy it was written with the assumption that the reader would have some basic mechanical and electrical knowledge. The great thing about the manual being online is that links can be added to more pages with more detailed information but for now you may wish to do a Google search with keywords such as "lead acid battery for ebike" or "batteries for ebike," etc. to find sites where this information is already compiled and published. For example, here is a link to Battery University, a site with so much detailed information you'll need about a year of spare time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:49:44 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »
A brief bit of information about batteries can be found in these threads. 

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=29.0

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=106.0

As myelectricbike mentioned, you may need to do some additional web research if the information in the threads doesn't make sense.  Feel free to ask more specific questions if you can't figure it out.  You can post pictures to ask what a particular doodad is for.

Offline commuter

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »
I am so grateful that you did not eat me alive.  It makes perfect sense now.  I thought the controller was some fancy all in one fuel cell.  Thank you all so very much for the information.  Now let's talk perpetual motion, dark matter, and zero point energy.  On second thought let me see if I can remember my basic circuit theory (parallel vs series).  Once again thanks for the respectful answers.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
That's really the whole purpose of this forum, to be of assistance to others so that we merit assistance ourselves.  ???
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:56:00 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline johnbear

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 01:05:05 AM »
I have learned both the low voltage cutoff & 48v mod from this forum!

Thanks