Author Topic: Power shutdown  (Read 3735 times)

Offline fpanzman

• Confirmed
Power shutdown
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »
I have a strange problem.  I loaned my ebike..48V front wheel motor to a friend yesterday..and he is really heavy...230lbs ~ 110kgs..and he called me about 1KM from my house.  The bike cut out.....he turned off the key and turned it back on....and it ran for a couple hundred feet and cut out again..
I read on one of the posts that it could be a key problem...so I bypassed the key....still cuts out when it goes under load.  I checked the battery and it is showing 53.7Volts...I also checked all the wiring and there seems to be no loose connections or burns. 
Any ideas?
Thanks

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Power shutdown
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »
It sound as a bad battery or battery connection.
1. You can start by Measure the battery voltage on Controller during load and compare to total cell voltage (measure on BMS). Large difference=bad connection. If it looks OK continue to next step.
2. Find an electric load that will operate continuously (not motor) at 2 A minimum. I use two 1000W floodlight lamps for 220 V in parallel but ovens also work but do not operate switches or thermostats as DC will damage contacts if opened during load.
3. Fully charge battery at room temperature, not in warm air.
4. Measure voltage over each cell set (cells in parallel). This is easy using two small voltage probes on BMS board. Write down cell voltages with room for two more sets of measurements.
5. Connect fixed load and wait five minutes. Then repeat measure and write down cell voltages in a second column.   
6. Then wait until the BMS disconnects load. This indicate that a cellset has reached minimum voltage.
7. Disconnect load and measure cell voltages a final time.

You will likely see that one or more cell sets need replacement. If not, post your findings here.

Good luck!
8. See if the voltage goes below the average on one or more cell sets.

minimum the controller require.