Author Topic: 5 Beeps? No Go  (Read 40797 times)

Offline skindoc4

Re: 5 Beeps? No Go
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
Hi Gary

There is a new dealer in Australia - previously there were none - they are making some enquiries on my behalf so perhaps they will be able to source a new controller for me. I shall wait with baited breath.

Alex

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 06:08:46 PM »
Hi Gary

There is a new dealer in Australia - previously there were none - they are making some enquiries on my behalf so perhaps they will be able to source a new controller for me. I shall wait with baited breath.

Alex

Good to see the new AU dealer is interacting for your behalf.  There was an AU dealer before the new AU dealer and he was great too.

I hope you get your problem fixed soon.  I don't like these problems but you need some way of communicating your situation.

I honestly do not think GM ignore people on purpose its more to do with they desire to manufacture and sell through the dealerships.  I think in Australian sales do not make GM's bread and butter and this is why the AU dealership in my mind is important to its customer base.  

Company Name:     Golden Motor Technology Co., Ltd.  Authenticated and Verified
Business Type:    Manufacturer

Note the bold type.

The have had over a million site hits on its sales site and Im not sure how long the hit counter has been up there.  Maybe half of them result in emails,

Total Annual Sales Volume:    US$1 Million - US$2.5 Million  

Thats can add up to over 2500 kits per year or if you consider that not every sale is a kit, this diversifies to lot more individual product..  Business must be expanding rapidly and GM is under pressure to meet the demand in work load.  We only see a few problems pop up here in the forums compared to the product sold.

Honestly our emails are not at the top spot on GM's list and they should be .

However IMO,  The sales from the factory are only to propagate the dealerships and I think GM as a manufacturer would enjoy the day they can be relieved from the retail side of their business preferring to have world wide dealerships to take away some of the individual responsibilities involved with retail.

None of this helps your problem though.

This thread has put the new AU dealer on the radar and how we behave here can effect the success of GM products sales through the new AU dealer.  Also as important. how GM interact with the new AU dealer and how the new dealer interacts with GM and the customer.

You will be OK and I do feel things will be made right for you.  Just don't sign on the dotted line that you have given up.  Youre not ignored IMO, youre just a small voice calling for a replacement that got missed in the crowd.  It shouldn't hurt to get louder.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:11:27 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
http://www.goldenmotor.com/contact/GM%20Web%20Statistics%202010%20Apr.pdf

Yes GM have more internet activity in the last 6mths than they have over the whole 2009 year.

Hits 2009= 2423375.

Hits 2010= 4401084

Almost doubled in 6mths this year.

:o

GM want $20,000 sales a year to remain on as a dealer.

Just maybe the sales is inundating the support.  Id like to say that this shouldn't make a difference but I think it is.  What is and what should sometimes do not relate.

GM Dealership FAQ's

Q:What are the requirements to become a dealer?
A:You must have a warehouse/shophouse/webshop and you should be familiar with Golden Motor products. A plus point for dealers who have knowledge of Electric Motors and are able to do repairs and maintenance.

Q:How much must I order?
A:You have to order a minumum of USD$5000 worth of GoldenMotor products on the first order and complete sum amount of USD$20,000 annually to continue being our dealer.

Q:I am a GoldenMotor dealer, why am I not listed on the list of dealers?
A:You order must be confirmed by GoldenMotor before you are put on the list.

Q:I've seen some dealers have special rights on the forum and special GoldenMotor logos, where can I get the same?
A:Send an e-mail with a copy of your dealership contract to yaoyuan@goldenmotor.com to receive the same privileges.

Q:Will I be fined if I do not meet the USD$20,000 quota?
A:Never, GoldenMotor takes good care of it's dealers and each and every staff in GoldenMotor is friendly and helpful at any point of time.

Q:I have no shophouse, but I have a warehouse, how can I still be in business with GoldenMotor?
A:Dropship dealers. Affiliate partners. You can order by drop shipping from GoldenMotor, and GoldenMotor will deliver straight to the address that you inform us about. Prices may vary from direct dealers.

Simons Superbikes Megastore must have made an import order to get on the list so I don't think your problem is too far from being sorted.

Bring it on

Offline skindoc4

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »
Hi Leslie

Thank you for your thoughts - interesting.

I hope you are right although I think a good business plans for growth and maintains all parts of the business including customer service throughout the process. They should hire a person to manage these issues. It makes you worry about what will happen if some unforeseen event stretches their resources.

Alex

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:16 AM »
Hi Gary

Alex

Glad to hear that Alex, Hopefully your new dealer can get things going for you. Please do keep in mind this dealer obviously did not make any money on your purchase as you did go direct with China. So anything at all he can offer you for assistance should be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 02:35:19 AM »
Hi Gary

Alex

Glad to hear that Alex, Hopefully your new dealer can get things going for you. Please do keep in mind this dealer obviously did not make any money on your purchase as you did go direct with China. So anything at all he can offer you for assistance should be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Yes Gary but how good would it look if Simon's came through with some help, even if he was arranged a dropship from china under a warranty claim.

I do believe dealers like yourself will extend help and it wasnt like the OP bypassed the dealership phase.

In the mean time I still wait for a tax return that has gone into manual intervention before I can order ::)  

The bike I want is sold out, and all the cheap sales have finished,  damn this is frustrating.  I still am keen to get some new GM product.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:37:26 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline jan0s

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
Hi
Normally I hear 2 beeps after I start controller because I have hall sensor failure. But today I can hear 5 beeps form horn. Wheel run easilly. I ran only 20 km

Best Ragard

Of course I sent mail to zhourenli@goldenmotor.com. Nobody answered me. This is very low level of quality product. Warranty, what warranty ?  >:(. If you want have god product buy it from reputable dealer. This is my last busisness with goldenmotor !  >:(
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:18:28 PM by jan0s »

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
Hi all,

I currently have the same problem. It happened when I was riding at high speed and the battery was disconnected by a small shock due the road (and due to MY bad battery connection).
The wheel was kind of blocked as described in this topic.

When I was disconnecting the yellow phase of the engine the wheel was unblocked.
After having replaced the controller by a new one ordered at GM the problem remains !! But now with the so called 5 bips at startup (nothing at all before with the old one).

Disconnecting the yellow phase still works (it unblocks the wheel). But when everything is connected it does not work.

In summary , replacing the controller suggested by GM supports does not solve the problem for me.

Now I have no clue  >:(

Loic

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
Disconnecting the yellow phase still works (it unblocks the wheel). But when everything is connected it does not work.

Hi Loic, andto the forum.

It sounds like you're not having a lot of luck with your conversion. I'm wondering if it could be a faulty hall sensor or the hall sensor wiring causing this fault.
I suggest that you reconnect the phase wires, and disconnect the hall sensor wiring instead (unplug the 5 pin connector) and see if it then works in sensorless mode. You may have to spin the wheel a bit to get the motor to start in sensorless mode.

It's possible that the fault may have damaged the new controller, but give it a try anyway (and then repeat the test with the old controller) and let us know what happens.

Check if the wheel is still "blocked", even if the motor does not run, as this information could be useful.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:51:14 PM by Bikemad »

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 05:04:37 PM »
Hi Alan,
thanks a lot for answering.

As you suggested I have tried without the 5 pin connector with the old controller and with the new one.
 I also did to make it work while walking with it (I was unable to spin the wheel and activate the throttle at the same time).

In summary, with the old controller : nothing happens (not a single beep, nothing)
with the new controller : 5 beeps at startup, then nothing. (except that I can hear a small noise coming from the wheel that tells me that   it will be a bit blocked).

but there's more: I have tried to swap the engine wires: still 5 beeps + nothing

I have tried removing every wire of the controller except the power and the horn : it still beeps 5 times

Well... As you said I may have burned this one again but the most annoying is if I buy a new one for the 2nd time I still don't know what to do to prevent to burn it again  ???

Loic

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
I thought the 5 beeps was the batteries?

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
Hi Karen,

I don't think 5 beeps mean the batteries are low because I have tried them on another ebike and they work perfectly. But yes I have recharged them entirely to be sure that was not the problem

Loic

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Hi Karen,
mmm you may be right.
I have found this thread (http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2224.0 ) in which Alan says 5 beeps mean low voltage. I 'll measure that as soon as I am back.
Which voltage do you guys usually have for 48v batteries ?

thanks
Loïc

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Checking the 5V supply and hall sensor operation
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »
I have found this thread (http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2224.0 ) in which Alan says 5 beeps mean low voltage. I 'll measure that as soon as I am back.

Loic, thanks for the reply. 

It was actually Tom from GM who said 5 beeps meant low voltage, but I'm not convinced. The default setting for these controllers should allow 24, 36 and 48V batteries to be used, so unless your battery voltage was below the LVC for a 24V battery it should still work if the controller was still OK. (which is extremely doubtful)

As both of your controllers appear to have failed, this seems too much of a coincidence, and I think there's a good chance that the cause of the problem lies somewhere in the wiring or even the hub itself. Assuming the battery power leads have not been connected reverse polarity at any point!

Send an email to Tom (zhourenli@goldenmotor.com) and briefly explain that your replacement controller gives 5 Beeps and the wheel does not turn easily without disconnecting the thick motor wires, and see what he says.

I would also check to see if you have ~5V between the H+/5v and the H-/0V connection on the controller (try each of the controllers again) with just the battery power leads connected.
If neither of the controllers are producing a 5V output, don't waste any more time trying to do the following checks, as they cannot be done without the 5V supply!

If you are getting a reading of ~5V, try plugging in the other connectors one at a time and watch the meter to see if the ~5V remains constant.
If there is a short in the wiring (throttle, pedelec unit or hall sensors etc.), I would expect the 5V Voltage supply to drop completely as soon as the connector from the faulty wiring is plugged in.

If you still have 5V with the hall sensors plugged in, it should be possible to check the operation of each of the three hall sensors:
Push the black meter probe into the rear of the connector on the H-/0V connection and then put the red probe into the Yellow (Ha) hall sensor wire and then rotate the motor very slowly by hand, if you can turn the wheel slow enough, you should be able to see the meter reading changing between ~0V and ~5V.
Repeat this test using the Green (Hb) and Blue (Hc) hall sensor wires to check those as well.

If one of the sensors remains at 0V (assuming the H+/5V Red lead is ~5V) or doesn't drop below ~5V, then the sensor (or its wiring) will be faulty.

Which voltage do you guys usually have for 48v batteries ?

You should get a reading of around 54.5V from a fully charged 48V GM battery.

Alan

Offline ltalbot

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Hi Alan,

thanks for these information :)

Here are the results:

* controller 1 (the old one): 0V between H+ and H-. I have stopped here the measurements...

* controller 2 (the new one): 4.61V between H+ and H-. I can connect every wire, the voltage remains to 4.61V. Only
when I connect the red and black wires to H+ and H- the voltage drops to 4.1V.

When turning the wheel (the front wheel for me) the voltage on Ha, Hb and Hc vary from 0v to about 5v.
(I could even stop turning the wheel in some position and measure easily).

The battery voltage is above 56V for me.

Whenever I am switching on the power I can hear a small noise coming from the wheel that tells me it won't be easy to
turn. So I have tried to disconnect the yellow wire and reconnect it only once the power is on. No noise in that case but
still hard to turn.

I have no more ideas for now. I guess the next step deals with the wheel itself. Does it make sense to connect the phases
to an ohmmeter ?

Loic

ps: I have sent an email to Tom with a short description of the problem