Author Topic: DIODE ISSUE FIXED!!!  (Read 9329 times)

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
DIODE ISSUE FIXED!!!
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
As of today, 22/7/2009, the day of the eclipse, all GoldenMotor controllers have a new function to deal with the issue of regen braking burning out the controller while battery is off. Took 2 weeks for project AntiPyro to be completed. Thanks for your support!

The Controller will shut down automatically when a current than higher than a certain value in the controller. (Value to be confirmed)

GM is currently developing another function, a Temperature sensor. If the temperature of the controller goes above a certain value, the controller, again, will be shut down.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 06:04:37 AM by Yao Yuan »

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Re: DIODE ISSUE FIXED!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »

This was the Magic Pie controller, right?

That means the Magic Pie will be out as soon as
you finish testing?

Let me know if you need a beta tester....

;D

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:52:34 AM »
Inside story of Magic Pie production: (only for this forum)

Magic Pie mass production was scheduled for July 4th 2009 (Yeah your independence day). There was a calculation error in the mass production mold, hence it had to be changed. If mass production were to be continued, the calculated heat reduction design would not be of any use as the position of the controller would not be tactical. We also had to change all controllers with this new function that does not require a diode. This project was perfectly planned, however the diode issue suddenly popped up just before the Mass Production date began. With orders from my boss, I was assigned to brief each and every of the workers about this issue, a brainstorming was held and our controller engineers were given a task to solve this problem in the shortest possible time. The problem was solved on the 7th of July, implementation and rapid prototype testing was done on the 9th, mold structure was changed on the 15th, re-planning of production timeline was completed and given out on the 17th, Marketing videos/promo clips were pushed to a later date of release on the main website. A more detailed manual was written by me on the 19th about the functions and latent functions of the controller. Magic Pie release date was pushed all the way until everything was completed. Fixed an issue on the Magic Pie not being able to get as much RPM as it was stated, mainly due to some lazy workers who did not wire up properly the prototype. Strict orders were issued to workers on the 20th so as to preserve the quality of the mass produced Magic Pie to work as magically as the prototype did. A natural occurrence appeared on the 22th, the Sun was eaten up! Workers and all GoldenMotor staff were to stand together to witness this epic Eclipse that occurs once every 500 years. The eclipse looked like the GoldenMotor logo which was printed on the 5000copies of the brochure. Eclipse gave all workers and staff of GoldenMotor more confidence in their job, a spiritual and emotional uprise followed this magical event. Korean distributor Eco-green tech stated minutes ago while in China: "We are here together, we witnessed this magical event that happens every 500 years, this is a sign, our cooperation and success will last until the next eclipse." (Sounded cheesy, very inspiring for us however.) Light reappeared in the skies of ChangZhou, I was suddenly inspired to write this on this very forum. Everything here was written while listening to the song called "Fate" from "'Wanted' Original Soundtrack", a movie by Angelina Jolie.

Offline Helgeo

• Confirmed
  • Norwegian eBiker
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:05:12 AM »
Great story Yao Yuan  ;)
Hope you can let us know when we can buy the Magic Pie now, I'm so ready for one  ;D

Helge

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »
When it is available for purchase, I will announce on the Main website. It's gonna be a blast!

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »
awesome :o

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:21:38 PM »
Is it possible to retrofit the Magic controllers I acquired before this protection was built in? In other words is there a retrofit kit or is there a diode I can purchase locally or from Golden and install?

The diode modification was applied to the battery pack, not the controller, and was only required with the non-modified controllers.
The modified controllers (from 22/7/2009 onwards) no longer need a diode fitted across the battery switch.

Quote from: Yao Yuan (GM Representative)
We have recently enhanced the cruise controller to detect if the battery pack is in place. If the battery is switched off, or is not connected at all, the controller will check the back EMF voltage, if it exceeds the preset limit, the controller will disable the regenerative braking to protect controller from being damaged.
Quote from: Yao Yuan (GM Representative)
As of today, 22/7/2009, the day of the eclipse, all GoldenMotor controllers have a new function to deal with the issue of regen braking burning out the controller while battery is off.

If you want to fit the diode, because you have the earlier type of controller, then connect it directly across the switch connection to enable any regenerative braking current to still reach the battery even though the switch is turned off.

Check out your local electronic component supplier for a 100Volt 20Amp diode. I found this one

If your switch is on the +ve lead from the battery, both outer legs go to the controller side of the switch and the centre leg goes to the battery side of the switch.
If your switch is on the -ve lead from the battery you must fit the diode in the opposite direction.

If the diode is fitted the wrong way around, power from the battery will be supplied through the diode with the switch turned off.
Simply reverse the diode if this happens.

Hope this helps.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:07:48 PM by Bikemad »

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
With the Magic controller there does not seem to be very much or perhaps any current flowing to the battery. Did I miss something?

You may have missed this:

Regen braking seems to work fine with the Ping battery.  The cycle analyst shows that when I brake hard, with both front and rear hooked up to regen braking, it charges at about 2000-watts.

I find the braking effect of dual regen to be too much.  Especially on dirt tracks, when I brake into a corner, the regen braking is too hard and I have to really watch it.  Other than that it's OK, but not real smooth.  Comes on strong.  Will have to see how it goes on wet roads...  I'm a bit worried about that and may just run regen on rear wheel so I have more control...

I calculate 2Kw@48V to be 41.66 Amps, 20+ Amps per motor seems like a considerable amount of current to me.

Alan