Author Topic: UART API for the VEC500 controller  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Dziobak

• Confirmed
UART API for the VEC500 controller
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
Hello there,
I'm a student of the Wroclaw university of science and technology. In our students club called Ko?o Naukowe Pojazdów I Robotów Mobilnych, we have been working on the E-Bike since 2013. In this year we are making a Bike on a VEC500 controller and a 10kW engine from GoldenMotor.
We were glad if we can get an information from the controller about temperature, and voltage on the controller, so we can show that informations on our motobike.
If there is any possibility to get API of the UART communication to get this informations from the VEC controller.
Your sincerely,
Tomasz Dziubak

Offline Dziobak

• Confirmed
Re: UART API for the VEC500 controller
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »
Have any one done the data logger from GoldenMotor drivers ? i've started to check (sniff) the COM via original application (PI-800) but there was no ASCII or any other coding. Probably there is a Binary message. All the messages start with the 0x66 (or if some likes other notation 66h) and then there as a incrementing byte for all of the communication done, but with out help of the GoldenMotor staff it will be a big problem to get all the information from the controller. In the User Manual there is an information that it is possibile to monitor the parameters.  I know that there is a option with a bluetooth (android) application for different driver (smartPie5), but we are building a embedded system and looking forward to inform a rider about temperature of a driver (controller) like as about the voltage left on battery.

Offline Lollandster

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Norway
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »
Hi Dziobak. I did a similar job with the controller I used with the 5kW GM motor. Unfortunately I didn't use the GM controller, so the UART messages won't be the same, but maybe my process will help you. I presented my findings here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71671#p1099277 and on my blog
I used the Awavo Com Port Monitor software to monitor the communication between the phone and the controller.
Disclaimer: I know nothing.
My ebike Build blog

Offline Dziobak

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:23:38 PM »
Thanks for replay :). I'm wonderring if there is some App for phone to communicate with that Controller. For now I will try to test out the app for the MagicPie, maybe they have used the same API like the VEC ones. Shame that such an information is not presented by the manufacturer. What is more I have bad news from the GoldenMotor HeadQuaters dealer, that is not even possible to get such an information from the controller.
For sure there is same logic in the controllers that you have shown in the endless sphere  8) , but there is something like 20 questions to Controller, and I will not gess it out what is what.
I will try to get some of those, if it won't work. Probably I will have to measure all things by myself.  :'(