General Category > Magic Pie & Smart Pie Discussions

replacing Magic Pie III motor with Magic Pie IV motor without removing wheel

<< < (2/2)

ElectricStreet:
In case I wasn't clear, the Magic Pie IV is only the hub no spokes/wheel. 

ElectricStreet:
I'm skeptical about getting the cover off but I will prevail. I must. No Fear.

ElectricStreet:
I don't recommend this method.  It is too easy to damage the axle threads with the bolt on I couldn't get the bolt off and I had to file the threads down enough to get past the spot.  Use a large press if you're determined to proceed.

Bikemad:

--- Quote from: Bikemad on December 15, 2023, 12:52:18 AM ---I usually thread a nut on the opposite end of the axle (freewheel or non-controller side) until the outer side of the nut is flush with the end of the axle. I then tap the end of the axle/nut with a large wooden mallet (or use a large hammer with a block of wood placed against the axle/nut to cushion the blow and prevent damage) until the cover on the controller side comes away.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: ElectricStreet on January 31, 2024, 09:11:37 PM ---I don't recommend this method.  It is too easy to damage the axle threads with the bolt on I couldn't get the bolt off and I had to file the threads down enough to get past the spot.
--- End quote ---

I don't understand how you managed to damage steel threads on the axle if you used a wooden mallet (or a large hammer with a block of wood placed against the axle/nut to cushion the blow and prevent damage) as I described.

I have dismantled several motors using this technique and have never damaged anything on the motor (however, the block of wood I used did sustain some minor injuries).

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version