General Category > Magic Pie & Smart Pie Discussions

Programming the Vector Controller

<< < (14/14)

Bikemad:
Hi andto the forum,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong but I suspect the controller has been set to allow a maximum of 380 rpm.
The controller is limited to an absolute maximum battery voltage of <63V (the maximum safe nominal battery voltage is 48-51.8V).
Even at the absolute maximum battery voltage, the motor's unloaded speed is unlikely to exceed 380 rpm, therefore there is not much point in allowing higher rpm figures to be entered. ???

A 26" wheel spinning at 380 rpm equates to ~47 km/h, so it shouldn't be the 380 rpm that is limiting your top speed.

It is more likely to be a low throttle signal voltage (below 3.25V) or insufficient current being provided to achieve the maximum speed under load.

If you are unable to achieve the expected wheel rpm (or speed) under a no load condition (wheel suspended in mid air) then I suspect it is either the throttle itself, or more likely a low +5V supply from the controller.
If the +5V supply to the throttle is too low, then the throttle would be unable to output the 3.25V required to achieve maximum rpm.  ;)

You should be able to check the actual +5V supply voltage by measuring it in relation to battery negative (ground) at the pedelec connector or one of the brake switch connectors:

If you place a short piece of wire insulation on the end of the Positive meter probe (or wrap some insulation or masking tape around it to make a tube) it will prevent the probe from accidentally touching against adjacent pins while you are checking the voltage on the +5V supply pin:

The +5V supply should ideally be between 4.5~5 Volts, but your throttle may still produce a full throttle signal output voltage (at least 3.25V) with slightly less than 4.5V on the +5V supply.

--- Quote from: Bikemad on May 09, 2017, 10:01:29 AM ---P.S.  I have just checked one of my controllers to see what voltage readings you should expect to see:
The +5V supply was reading a constant ~4.9V with the throttle and Bluetooth dongle disconnected.
When I plug just the throttle in, it drops to 4.23V.
When I plug just the Bluetooth dongle in, it drops to 4.52V.
When both units are plugged in, it drops to 4.22V
--- End quote ---

Please keep us updated with your findings as it may well help others who may be experiencing a similar lack of top speed.

Alan

Phoogiman:
Yes I have tested already
3.7V on the throttle (+5v)line

What can I do?

Bikemad:
If the 3.7V was measured with the throttle disconnected, it will probably be even lower when the throttle is plugged in:

--- Quote from: Kneedeep on May 09, 2017, 03:12:30 PM ---3.3 volts with dongle plugged in and throttle unplugged.
2.04 volts with dongle and throttle connected
--- End quote ---

It is probably a weak 5V regulator (which is an integral part of the controller) so if it's still under warranty I suggest that you contact your supplier and explain the problem to them, as a replacement controller may be needed to rectify the low +5V supply.

However, if it's out of warranty, you might want to try adding an external +5V supply to see if it overcomes the problem.

You could start with three AA or AAA cells connected in series connected between battery - and the +5V wire to see if it cures the low top speed problem, and these could hopefully be replaced with a simple 60V to 5V DC/DC converter for a more permanent solution.

It might also be possible to use a 10K Multiturn Potentiometer as a simple voltage divider to boost the low +5V supply.
I don't know if there is sufficient room to fit this item inside the throttle, but would be a convenient place to install it as the throttle housing already contains the Battery +, Battery - and +5V wires inside.  ;)

The potentiometer would need to be initially adjusted to provide an output of ~5V with a fully charged battery before connecting it to the +5V supply wire, but once connected, it should be possible to adjust it slightly if necessary to ensure that the +5V wire is still set to the expected ~5V.

Alan

Pramot:

--- Quote from: Bikemad on November 12, 2020, 10:11:32 PM ---If the 3.7V was measured with the throttle disconnected, it will probably be even lower when the throttle is plugged in:

--- Quote from: Kneedeep on May 09, 2017, 03:12:30 PM ---3.3 volts with dongle plugged in and throttle unplugged.
2.04 volts with dongle and throttle connected
--- End quote ---

It is probably a weak 5V regulator (which is an integral part of the controller) so if it's still under warranty I suggest that you contact your supplier and explain the problem to them, as a replacement controller may be needed to rectify the low +5V supply.

However, if it's out of warranty, you might want to try adding an external +5V supply to see if it overcomes the problem.

You could start with three AA or AAA cells connected in series connected between battery - and the +5V wire to see if it cures the low top speed problem, and these could hopefully be replaced with a simple 60V to 5V DC/DC converter for a more permanent solution.

It might also be possible to use a 10K Multiturn Potentiometer as a simple voltage divider to boost the low +5V supply.
I don't know if there is sufficient room to fit this item inside the throttle, but would be a convenient place to install it as the throttle housing already contains the Battery +, Battery - and +5V wires inside.  ;)

The potentiometer would need to be initially adjusted to provide an output of ~5V with a fully charged battery before connecting it to the +5V supply wire, but once connected, it should be possible to adjust it slightly if necessary to ensure that the +5V wire is still set to the expected ~5V.

Alan

--- End quote ---
My Smart Pie controller, 5V regulator was damaged a month ago. Because I bought a pair of electric brake levers that was not from Golden Motor.
Connection pins does not match Golden Motor cable (my mistake that I did't check them before, It has the same 3 pins waterproof connector).
When I replaced one of them and pull the brake lever ,then short circuit happened.
I made external +5V supply from 4 AA rechargeable battery and XL4005 adjustable buck converter to drop voltage to +4.65V
If the voltage is over 4.7V, Throttle will not work properly (It works but not comfortable to use).
Fully charged 4 AA battery can run more than 1,000 kilometers.
I cut and alternate the wires of new brake lever to avoid short circuit.
Thanks Alan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version