Author Topic: Magic Pie III dead after 37 miles.  (Read 15334 times)

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Magic Pie III dead after 37 miles.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »
Cheers Andrew. The throttle is not busted. It is the plug on the wire harness. Thanks for the offer anyway.
I'm not getting rid of my lovely Clarks hydraulic  brakes. I have just put the GM lever on to use as a kill switch, with no brake cable in it. I am going to get a friend to cut the wire and solder it into the spare button on the control next to the cruise control button. Alan, a.k.a. Bikemad has put up detailed pictures on how to do it. It is a doddle to do. It's just that I don't have a soldering iron.

It shall live again, The Beast.

Griogair.
having no practical effect or useful result is futile

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have any diagrams that show the colours of the wires inside the cables, and I'm not convinced that all harnesses and controls would use the same colours anyway, but this one indicates the function of each of the pins:

I would use cyanoacrylayte (Superglue etc.) instead of Araldite as it will provide a stronger bond on the connector block assembly.

I suspect the full speed fault was caused by a faulty ground connection (battery -ve) somewhere on one of the connectors or a wire within the harness. Check the centre pin of the eight pin round connector for cleanliness and make sure the plug is pushed completely into the socket.

If the throttle connector had been partially broken before the event, it could have slowly worked its way apart allowing the earth connection on the throttle to separate first causing instant full throttle.
You should always ensure that there is enough slack in the cable to allow the handlebars to go from lock to lock without straining any of the connections.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:06:43 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »
Thanks Alan.

I will do that. I don't think the plug was busted already as I had it set up so the bars could swing right round both ways. I am looking at the 8 pin plug right now and all seems fine. I nearly pooped myself when it happened because it was pitch dark. If it had been daylight I could have handled it while on the bike i.e. reach down and turn the key off but as there was dog walkers in front of me mixed with the dark I didn't want to run over some ones beloved pooch. That would have been tragic.

If it comes to it I shall just have to open my throttle to see what's what wire wise. I already know the brakes are black and blue because I have already unscrewed one of the switches to peek in at it while trying to figure a way of using just the switch.

Again thank you Alan for taking time to offer assistance.

Griogair.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 08:02:15 AM »
Time to get an iron..... http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=cpc/649068.xml 

Don't buy a really cheap one, or you will end up buying twice.  The one in the link is about as cheap as you can go and still have good heat.

Try and always carry cable ties, self amalgamating rubber tape.

Get rosin core lead/tin soldering wire. 60/40.  And brush up on you tube for soldering tutorials.

Welcome to the world of ebiking :D

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
Thanks to you Andrew. Here we go

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
Hooray again. I managed to retrieve the little broken piece out of the plug. All I need to do now is glue it.

The Beast is back.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:31:39 PM by Gregor »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
Haaaah ;D    Quality! 8)   

Just one note, be careful with your rear dropout on the rock hopper frame as they are usually made for thin quick release spindles  so are not very deep, that was a potential problem I once had with the stump jumper frame equivalent to yours.  Have you got a torque arm of any kind?

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »
Not yet Andrew but I am well aware that the dropouts are shallow. I have a spanner on the axle jubilee clipped on to my seatstay as a temporary measure till I get some torque arms organised. I am taking it easy till I can afford some.

It is running super. I just got it going today and had a wee five miler. I know you say get rid of the GM brake levers but it is only on as a kill switch until I get the brake switch wired to the horn. If I had put it on in the first place I would not have had the few days set-back that I did.

Anyhoos cheers for thinking about the dropouts.

Gregor.

Offline Eriknoort

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »
Hi,
You can try this as a brake switch for your hydraulic brakes.
http://www.bikeonlineshop.net/spare-parts/pressure-switch
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:34:47 PM by Eriknoort »

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
Thanks Eriknoort.

I shall need to look at something when I have the cash.

Gregor.